Students are admitted to the graduate program for the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters, with the following application deadlines:
- Fall semester enrollment: August 1
- Spring semester enrollment: December 1
- Summer enrollment: May 15
Admission into the program is based on the listed requirements and faculty/student ratios. The following are required for admissions consideration:
- Graduate Studies Application: The Graduate Studies Application is an institutional application required by SHSU. Students must provide biographical and educational information and information relevant to determining State of Texas residency.
- Application fee: An application fee is required for all applications to graduate programs at SHSU.
- Official transcripts: Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education, showing all degrees conferred. Students must contact their previous institution and arrange to have that college or university send transcripts directly to Graduate Admissions at SHSU.
- Official GRE Scores: GRE scores are required for all applicants who do not possess a graduate degree (e.g. MA, MBA, MPA, JD, etc.) from an accredited institution.
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0: Applicants, who do not possess a graduate degree from an accredited institution, are required to have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 from the accredited institution granting the undergraduate degree.
- Letters of Recommendation: Two letters of recommendation are required for each applicant. Letters should be submitted by someone who is able to evaluate the applicant’s academic and professional potential.
- Statement of Intent: Applicants should submit a written statement explaining why they are applying to the program; how their experience (academic, work, etc.) has prepared them to enter the program; and what they plan to do – professionally – with the degree.
- Writing sample of scholarly or professional work.
All application materials are submitted to the Office of Graduate Admissions, who will forward completed applications to the Director of Graduate Studies.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.