Doctor of Education (EdD)
60 Credit Hours
The Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership provides the highest professional degree available to students who aspire to leadership positions at either the school or college/university level. Although the degree requirements include a prescribed curriculum of required courses, the doctoral degree is awarded not only on the basis of coursework completion, but each doctoral student is also expected to conduct a major research project resulting in the presentation and defense of a dissertation.
Graduates of the doctoral degree in Educational Leadership will have the knowledge to apply administrative theory to the instructional leadership function; set goals, assign responsibilities, and verify how well resources are allocated and utilized in instructional improvement; plan and administer the curriculum of a school system; use appropriate communication and interpersonal skills in consultation, counseling, and evaluation; interpret the relationships among federal, state, and local education agencies and the laws applicable to the administration of the schools; design educational research and interpret results; and apply data to educational processing capabilities and leadership functions.
Courses are available at the The Woodlands Center.
- Priority Deadline: October 15 - Higher Education Administration Cohort
- Priority Deadline: March 1 - K-12 Administration Cohort
Spring (Higher Education Administration Cohort)
Summer (K-12 Administration Cohort)
Tuition and Cost
Additional Program Information
- Graduate Admissions Application
- Application Fee
- Official transcript from the baccalaureate degree granting institution
- Official transcript showing receipt of a Master’s degree in a related field from an accredited institution
- Official GRE scores taken within the last 5 years
- Resume (with description of education, work history, leadership experiences, and at least 3 professional references)
- Personal statement. Not to exceed 1,800 words. Please address the following:
- What are some highlights of your professional career?
- What are some experiences that highlight your leadership strengths?
- What are your professional goals?
- What reasons do you have for pursuing a doctoral degree?
Applicants selected after the initial screening will be invited for an interview and writing sample exercise