Summary Of TSUS Board Of Regents Action—Aug. 29
Aug. 29, 2014 - Updated 9/26/14
SHSU Media Contact: Julia May
The Texas State University System Board of Regents approved the following items for Sam Houston State University during the board’s quarterly meeting in Austin on Friday (Aug. 29):
• The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences and all applicable degree programs will move from the College of Humanities and Social Sciences to the College of Health Sciences, effective Fall 2014.
• The Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling will be split into Department of Educational Leadership and the Department of Counseling within the College of Education, effective Fall 2014.
• The College of Health Sciences will offer the Master of Arts in Kinesiology (Sport and Human Performance) program via distance learning, with a proposed implementation date of Spring 2015.
• The Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree will be offered via distance learning, effective Spring 2015. (Updated 9/26/14: For clarifcation, Sam Houston State University will only be offering the RN to BSN program online and only through SHSU-The Woodlands Center. For more information, call the SHSU Office of Medical and Allied Health Programs at 936.294.2300.)
• The Board authorized SHSU to acquire the property located at 1627 Sam Houston Ave. for $225,000. SHSU will renovate the existing building at the location to provide a long-term site for the Campus Mail Services.
• The Regents authorized SHSU to enter into a Ground Lease with the H.E.A.RT.S. Veterans Museum of Texas for a 5.91 acre tract of land within the university’s property between Interstate 45 and State Highway 75.
Planning and Construction
• The Regents approved the 2014 Innovation Plaza Master Plan for SHSU, prepared by Broaddus & Associates of Austin, Texas, and authorized the university to file the Master Plan with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. (See the story about Innovation Plaza in the Summer 2014 issue of the Heritage magazine.)
- END -
Please send comments, corrections, news tips to Today@Sam.edu.