The $1.8 million Katy and E. Don Walker, Sr. Education Center in the Sam Houston Memorial Museum Complex is a departure point for thousands of visitors each year on a trip back into Texas history.
The 18,500 square-foot center is Sam Houston State University's newest major addition, built with contributions from E. Don Walker Jr., son of the husband/wife educational team for whom the center is named, and the Meadows Foundation of Dallas.
"The Center is an entry and exit point for history students and other visitors, something the Sam Houston Memorial Museum Complex has never had," said Dr. Patrick Nolan, museum curator. Approximately 17,000 children per year are exposed to Sam Houston and Texas history and life skills tours of the complex and school presentations made by museum staffers.
The Center, located on the southwest corner of the museum complex at 19th Street and Ave. N½, was formally dedicated on March 2, 1995. The facility was built as a result of the General Sam Houston Bicentennial celebration in honor of General Sam Houston's 200th birthday on March 2, 1993.
The heart of the Center is a state-of-the-art, 2,000 square-foot exhibit gallery, and an auditorium where an introductory film is shown on Sam Houston and the museum complex.
The Center's library is also available to public school students, Sam Houston State history students, and visitors seeking information on Houston and Texas history. An artifact room is also open to visitors, giving them a behind-the-scenes look at museum operations and some of the tools used in teaching Texas history.
The Center is named in honor of E. Don Walker and his wife, the former Kathryn Marie Keneaster, who met while students at Sam Houston State in the early 1940s. He retired as chancellor of the University of Texas System in 1984.
1400 19th Street
Huntsville, Texas 77340