It's that time of the year again!
SAVE THE DATE! April 12th, 2014
This year's SHAEYC Joan Prouty Conference will be held in the Lowman Student Center Ballroom as well as the 3rd floor of the LSC from 9 AM to 3 PM. During that time, we will bring about processes on how to teach literacy and bilingual education to children. We will be having poster sessions outside of the ballroom and break-out sessions where students/teachers will bring about certain aspects you could encounter while teaching and how to work through them. Three scholarships will be awarded:
1. DR. BESS OSBURN LITERACY ENDOWMENT: $500 for methods and student teaching senior year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student; majoring in EC-4 Certification: Reading and Language Arts, be enrolled in the methods of teaching for the next long semester and demonstrate financial need. Scholarship is awarded each February at the Joan Livingston Prouty Young Child Winter Conference. GPA requirement 2.5. Contact Dr. Melinda Miller for additional information and applications. SHSU Box 2119 Huntsville TX 77341, (936) 294-1108, firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. DR. LAVERNE WARNER EARLY CHILDHOOD ENDOWMENT: $500 for methods and student teaching senior year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student; majoring in EC-4 Certification: Early Childhood Generalists and demonstrate financial need. Scholarship is awarded each February at the Joan Livingston Prouty Young Child Winter Conference. GPA requirement 3.0. Contact Dr. Diana Nabors for additional information and applications. SHSU Box 2119 Huntsville TX 77341, (936) 294-1108, email@example.com.
3. ALBERTO SANDOVAL BILINGUAL EDUCATION SCHOLARSHIP: Award to be determined annually. Intended for a student who has been enrolled for at least two semesters at SHSU and is a senior undergraduate student, admitted to the educator preparation program, demonstrates leadership skills and community involvement, demonstrates commitment to culturally and linguistically diverse populations and to teaching in a bilingual education environment, maintains a membership in the Bilingual Education Student Organization and participates as an officer in the organization, demonstrates command of two languages and maintains at least a 2.8 grade point average.
This year, we will have one keynote speaker as well as two featured speakers:
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. April Crawford of the Children's Learning Institute
- Featured Speaker: Sonya Coffey of the Children's Learning Institute
We have various vendors that will be present at this event:
- Barefoot Books
- Breakfast provided by Bright Horizons
- Lunch provided by Lakeshore
- During luncheon, we will be recognizing students and teachers of excellence!
We will be having an "I Love LLSP" Scholarship Raffle as well. We will start selling tickets on April 7th in TEC 127A. Tickets are $1 or you can get 6 for $5. All proceeds to towards scholarships in the LLSP department.
Please click HERE to complete registration.
- For students - $45.00
- For those that work at schools and alumni - $65.00
- For non-students, non-personnel, & members of the community - $85.00
**NOTE** THERE WILL BE NO LATE REGISTRATION OR ON-SITE REGISTRATION!
For more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org