Hazlewood Veterans

Returning Hazlewood students should complete:

1) the Hazlewood Application and

2) the Request for Information form.

3) And turn in a copy of Halzewood Hours History.


New or transferring Hazlewood students must complete:

1) the Hazlewood Application and

2) Request for Information form and

3) turn in a copy of DD-214

4) Turn in a copy of Hazlewood Hours History

4) with a letter from VA stating you have exhausted or are not eligible for GI Bill.


Requirements and Benefits

As a Texas Veteran, you may qualify for the benefits of the Hazelwood Act if you meet these requirements:

  • Texas was your home of record at time of entry, or entered the service in Texas, or declared Texas as your home of record
  • More than 181 days of Active Duty Service (excluding training)
  • "Honorable" or "general, under honorable conditions" discharge
  • Not defaulted on any student loans.

The Hazelwood Act exempts qualified students taking classes at public institutions of higher education in Texas from all tuition and fee charges, but does not include property deposits or student services fees. The exemption will cover up to 150 semester credit hours. Children of services members who are killed in the line of duty, are missing in action, or who die as a result of injury or illness directly related to military service are eligible for Hazlewood Act benefits providing the child was a dependent of the Texas service member at the time he/she died. Hazlewood eligibility has been expanded to spouses of members of the U.S. Armed Forces who were killed in action, died while in service, are missing in action, whose deaths are documented to be directly caused by illness or injury connected with service in the armed forces, or receive 100% VA disability benefits as a result of a disability or being individually unemployable.

The Hazlewood Legacy Program allows an eligible veteran to elect to waive his or her right to any unused hours for which he or she is eligible (up to the maximum 150 semester credit hours). The child designee must be the stepchild, biological, or adopted child of the parent veteran; or claimed as a dependent on a federal income tax return filed for the preceding or current tax year. The child must be a resident of Texas, be 25 years or younger on the first day of the semester or term for which the exemption is claimed, and must be making satisfactory academic progress in a degree, certificate, or continuing education program as determined by the institution.

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor