The SHSU Women's Center
Building a foundation for life-long health and well-being
As young women reach adulthood, preventative healthcare becomes very important. The SHSU Student Health Center's Women's Center emphasizes a conversational approach to preventative and reproductive health care for women of all ages. Care is provided by staff specially trained in women's health care in a nurturing and non-judgmental environment. Conversations and clinical care center around issues of concern to women. The following are some of the services offered at The Women's Center located in the Student Health Center:
- Pregnancy Testing
- Reproductive Health Counseling and Contraception (Prenatal care is not available at the SHC)
- Preventative Counseling and Treatment for Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Pap tests and evaluation of abnormal pap smears
- Menstrual cyles and related mood disorders
- Nutrition and weight management
- Health related behavior
- Medical history and pertinent physical exam
- Pelvic examination
- Breast examination and education regarding monthly self-breast exams
- Blood work, as needed, ordered on an individual basis
The Women's Center provides quality services to counsel and clinically treat women, while providing strategies for success in preserving health and promoting wellness. *In many instances, neither an internal pelvic exam nor a pap smear is required on the first visit.
Call 936.294.1805 to schedule an appointment at The Women's Center.
Call 936.294.2546 to speak to a nurse if you have specific questions regarding the examination. Please be patient, it may take up to 24 hours for a nurse to get back with you depending on the volume of patients scheduled for the day.