Sam Houston State University strongly encourages its students to maintain health insurance coverage while attending college. SHSU offers its students the option of obtaining insurance through Academic HealthPlans.
Sam Houston State University is pleased to present the 2014–2015 Student Health Insurance Plan underwritten by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas and administered by Academic HealthPlans, Inc.
All registered domestic students taking six (6) or more credit hours are eligible to participate in the Plan.
Student and parents are encouraged to review the enclosed information regarding the 2014–2015 Student Health Insurance Plan. Some of the Plan benefits include:
- The plan qualifies as health insurance under the Affordable Care Act federal law
- Unlimited benefit maximum per Covered Person, per Policy year
- The Plan works closely with the SHSU Student Health Center to maximize benefits
- The Plan Deductible will be waived and covered services will be paid at 100% of the Allowable Amount at the Student Health Center Only
- Prescription Drug benefits are available at the Student Health Center as well as outside the SHC. Please see your brochure for full details
- Participating Providers in the BlueChoice® PPO Network includes many providers and hospitals Nationwide as well as in the Huntsville and Greater Houston area
- Online enrollment and more Plan information available at http://shsu.myahpcare.com/.
This Plan provides coverage to the student population for a reasonable price and is competitive with the Health Insurance Marketplace. This is important as students often experience changes during their academic career that make them ineligible for coverage under their parent’s insurance plans (e.g. residing out-of-area and changes in full-time student status).
If you are presently insured, I encourage you to review your current plan to make certain that you will be covered while in school. If you are not presently insured, you may want to consider protecting yourself from the unexpected cost of medical care by enrolling in the Sam Houston State University Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you have any questions about the insurance or want to enroll online in the Plan, please call Academic HealthPlans at (855) 267-0214. More information about the Plan and services can be obtained by accessing the Academic HealthPlans website http://shsu.myahpcare.com/.
Domestic Student Forms (Document links are coming soon)
- 2015-2016 Student Health Insurance Plan Overview
- 2015-2016 Enrollment by Qualifying Event
- 2015-2016 Domestic Student Insurance Enrollment Form and/or Dental Enrollment
- 2015-2016 SHSU AHP Brochure
- 2015-2016 Mobile Flyer
- 2015-2016 ID Card Notification
Please visit the Office of International Programs for further information regarding insurance requirements.