Summer Camps

Health Services for Summer Camps

The Sam Houston State University Health Center offers services and information that assists in making campers’ visits enjoyable and healthy.

Any camper that is legitimately enrolled in any Sam Houston State University sanctioned summer activity is eligible to use the Student Health Center as a visitor. There is an office visit charge for visitors of $25.00 plus any lab and/or pharmacy charges that might be necessary. Payment is due when services are rendered. Cash/check is the only form of payment accepted and the camper must have exact change. Minors attending camp must present the required medical release signed by the minor’s parent or legal guardian prior to receiving treatment at the Health Center.

Download Consent Form

The Health Center can treat most chronic conditions that require special consideration such as allergy injections, insulin administration, etc. only if they have explicit instructions from the camper’s allergist or private physician. Prior arrangements should be made in these cases.

The Health Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Only business services are available from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Treatment after hours or for severe injuries should be obtained at Huntsville Physician’s ER or Huntsville Memorial Hospital.

The following is a list of the most common conditions related to campers:

  • Routine injuries (sprains, bruises, lacerations, contusions, etc.)
  • Consultation
  • Crutches (after evaluation)
  • Referral for x-ray services

Please Note: Cases of heat exhaustion and/or sun poisoning are seen each year. It is recommended for all camp personnel to keep campers adequately hydrated and allow rest periods out of the sun.

On Campus Medical Emergency Procedures for Assisting Camper/Conference Participants, & Visitors

Medical emergencies should be handled in the following manner:

  • Call 911 in the case of potentially life threatening emergencies.
  • Call the University Police Department at 936-294-1794 in the case of a non-life threatening medical emergency so that an officer can be dispatched to the scene.
  • Ambulance service will be required in all cases of the injury or illness if life threatening or if transportation, other than by ambulance would be injurious to the person.
  • When an ambulance is required, University Police will contact the ambulance service and provide proper directions to the campus location.
  • If the individual is conscious and other forms of transportation would not be injurious to the person, he or she may refuse ambulance transport.

Individuals must pay for the costs of their individual emergency medical services.

Student Health Center - SEE MAP
1608 Avenue J, Box 2358
Huntsville, TX 77340
(936) 294-1805 |
Facebook Twitter Instagram