Bearkat Camp FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions


When is Bearkat Camp?

For 2015 there are three sessions of Bearkat Camp. Session 1 is August 09-12, Session 2 is August 14-17, and Session 3 is August 19-22.


Are there other programs that conflict with Bearkat Camp?

Please check directly with your organizations.


Where is Bearkat Camp and how do I get there?

Bearkat Camp will be held at Sam Houston State's own University Camp in Riverside, Texas. The University Camp is located approximately fifteen minutes from the SHSU campus. Students will check in on the SHSU campus and ride charter busses to camp.


Who goes to Bearkat Camp?

Bearkat Camp is open to all incoming Freshman who are enrolled in the Fall semester at SHSU and graduated high school in 2015. There will also be current SHSU students serving as counselors.

For incoming transfer students, we now have Bearkat Transfer Camp.


How much does it cost?

The cost of camp is $115. Payment is collected as part of the online registration process.

This price includes your lodging, charter bus transportation from SHSU to University Camp and back, programming, meals, and a camp T-shirt.


How do I register?

You can register online or in person during Orientation. See the registration page for more details.


Does registration fill up?

Yes! We have limited space at Bearkat Camp, and traditionally camp space fills up completely.


What do I do with my forms?

Send your permission to treat and waiver forms to the Bearkat Camp office by July 15. You can email them to or fax them to 936-294-4340.


I'm not 18, can I sign my own forms?

The deadline for turning in your forms is July 15. If you are not 18 by then, you will need a legal guardian to sign your forms.


When is the last day I can get a refund for camp?

The last day to receive a refund for camp if you decide to not attend is July 15. After this date, no refunds will be given.


How do I notify you about any special needs, dietary needs, food restrictions, etc.?

Please contact the camp director to discuss any special needs or accommodations. (936) 294-CAMP (2267). You can also email the camp director at


What if I am having trouble with online registration?

If you are having problems with registering online, please contact us at (936) 294-CAMP.


Where do I park when I come to camp?

The charter busses will be picking you up on the scoreboard side of the Bowers Stadium parking lot off of Bearkat Blvd. You do not need to have a SHSU parking pass to leave your car here during camp.


What if I'm not a camp or outdoors person?

Camp is active; however, there are a variety of optional activities, some of which will be indoors. This is not a camping trip! You will be staying in air conditioned cabins with modern restrooms. The dining hall and meeting rooms are air conditioned as well. You can also beat the Texas heat in the camp swimming pool.


What do I need to bring to camp?

What to bring to Bearkat Camp:

  • Linens for an extended twin bed (sleeping bag, sheets, pillow)
  • Towels for shower and pool
  • Shower shoes
  • Comfortable and modest clothes for recreation and activities such as shorts and T-shirts are appropriate for all activities and you may want more than one set per day.
  • Toiletries
  • Closed toe shoes for recreation and optional activities
  • Protection from the sun, such as hat, sunscreen, and sunglasses.
  • Appropriate Swimwear
  • Optional: Evening socials will have an 80's theme, luau, and barn dance. We would love for you to dress the part with us.


What should I not bring to camp?

Valuable items that could easily be misplaced such as jewelry, credit cards, or more than $20 cash. Any drugs, alcohol, weapons of any kind, including pocket knives, are not allowed at camp. This is a sanctioned SHSU event and any violations will be handled in cooperation with the university police and/or university disciplinary council (see Student Handbook.) Students who violate these policies will be asked to leave camp without a refund.


Will I have cell phone service at camp?

Cell phone service is not very reliable at camp and we offer no secure personal storage. We strongly urge you to not bring/use your phone at camp, you will be too busy making new friends to need it anyways!

In case of an emergency where someone needs to get a hold of you while you are at camp, they can call the University Camp office at (936) 294-3212.


Do people really dress up for the social events?

Yes, of course we do! You do not need to have an expensive costume to participate either. The cheesier, the better!!


Who do I contact for more information?

For more information, you can call (936) 294-CAMP or email us at


     Running Man   Recreational Sports | Jump in. Play hard.

Today's Hours of Operation

RSC Facility:

RSC Pool:

Climbing Wall:

University Camp:

Open for

Full Hours Schedule


Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor