Sam Houston State University has selected you by policy as a Campus Security Authority in compliance with mandates by the Department of Education through The Jeanne Clery Act and the Violence Against Women Act. When a victim is reporting a crime to you, you should:
- Make sure the victim is safe
- Take the time to make sure the victim is as comfortable as possible, then explain the options on reporting available through Sam Houston State University, and you will assist them in making a report to any law enforcement jurisdiction, including SHSU PD.
- Explain that it is Sam Houston State University's policy to encourage students that crime reports be made as soon as possible to the Sam Houston State University Police Department, and that you represent an option to report the crime, if for whatever reason, they do not wish to report to the University Police Department.
- The form below permits you to complete the report and to forward it directly to Sam Houston State University Police Chief Kevin Morris. Simply follow directions and fill in the blanks. Please explain to the reportee (whether victim, witness, third party, or even the suspect) that you cannot guarantee confidentiality.
- While the victim can request anonymity, University Police Department Chief of Police Kevin Morris must be able to investigate a report if he determines there is an ongoing danger to the University Campus, and to issue a timely warning to the campus if circumstances warrant. There is a separate statement box where the victim may request anonymity that must be checked yes or no.
- Should there be a sexual offense to report, there is a supplemental page that allows for additional information to be submitted. Complete the additional information. You are required to submit a separate report to the Title IX coordinator in cases of sexual misconduct.