About MLK Day of Service
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. devoted his life to advancing equality, social justice, and opportunity for all. He once said, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'". Each year, Americans across the country answer that question by coming together on the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day to serve their neighbors and communities. Each year, the Department of Leadership Initiatives invites students to take part in an MLK Day service project. In the past, SHSU students have served at SAAFE House, Huntsville State Park, the Hospitality House, Good Shepherd Mission, and other agencies in the Huntsville community.
Registration is coming soon!
Learn more about Dr. King and MLK Day
- Visit the Corporation for National & Community Service website to learn more about MLK Day and how others across the country are honoring Dr. King's legacy
- Learn about the meaning of MLK Day, as written by Coretta Scott King
- Read a biography of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Visit the King Center website and learn more about why we choose to celebrate Dr. King through a Day of Service
- Find ways that you can continue to serve beyond the MLK Day of Service
Need More Information?
Department of Leadership Initiatives
Lowman Student Center, Suite 328T