What is an Affiliated Transfer Credit Study Abroad Program?
- It is a 3rd Party Company that provides Study Abroad services.
- You DO NOT pay any tuition & fees to SHSU. The only SHSU fee you will be charged is the $200 Study Abroad Service Fee. All other costs are paid directly to the program.
- You will receive transfer credit from the university you attend while you are abroad. Your courses will be coming in as transfer credit, not SHSU credit. That means your grades will only affect your overall GPA, NOT your SHSU GPA.
- SHSU Financial Aid CANNOT apply for independent study abroad programs since you will not be enrolling at SHSU. You can use your financial aid for 2 online courses (6 credit hours) at SHSU the same semester you study abroad. Our Study Abroad Scholarship through the Office of International Programs is also available for all SHSU study abroad students who have at least a 3.0 GPA. There are non-SHSU financial aid opportunities through other study abroad companies you can apply for that are listed on our Study Abroad Scholarships page.
- The Study Abroad Coordinator in the Office of International Programs will assist you in ensuring the courses you take will transfer back in correctly.
- CLICK HERE for examples of courses that students took with independent programs that were approved.
NOTE: If you do not receive authorization from the SHSU Study Abroad Office for your Transfer Credit Study Abroad program (even through an Affiliate), you will NOT receive credit.
Application Documents Required for an Affiliated Transfer Credit Program:
Prior to Acceptance:
- Study Abroad Information Sheet
- Affiliate Transfer Credit Program Application
- Affiliate Transfer Credit Responsibility Agreement
- Copy of Unofficial Transcript
After Acceptance into Program:
- Course Equivalency Form
- Emergency Contact Form
- Proof of Health Insurance
- Liability Waiver
- Behavior Contract
- Pre-Travel Health Survey
- Trancript Release Form
- Copy of Passport (valid 6 months beyond date of return to US)
- Copy of Visa (if applicable)
- Copy of Flight Itinerary
- Copy of Letter of Acceptance to Program (or other documentation verifying enrollment)
Optional Items/Not Required for All Students:
*SHSU will not approve any student travel to locations currently under US Dept. of State Travel Warning or locations that come under Travel Warning at any point in the study abroad process, including after the student has departed the US. Financial contingency plans should be made to compensate for any penalties incurred due to late program cancellation. Check the status of your proposed location here. No exceptions will be considered.
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340