Transfer Process

 Dependent Information | Extension of Stay | Maintaining Status | Transfer Process
J-1 Scholars Home

Transfer Process

Before beginning the transfer process, a scholar must make an appointment to speak with the international scholar advisor.

A visiting scholar may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was admitted to exchange visitor status, and if the scholar remains within the same participant category (for example short term scholar, research scholar, or visiting professor).

A transfer cannot take place without the approval of the transfer-out program.

Steps a scholar should take:

  • Make an appointment with the international scholar advisor/Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer at your current host sponsor institution to discuss situation and a possible "transfer effective date."
  • Obtain approval from host department supervisor
  • Obtain approval of a new sponsor
  • Submit "transfer out" form from current host sponsor institution
  • Submit "transfer in" form from new host sponsor institution
  • Obtain new DS-2019 at the new host sponsor institution after arrival and check in.



Contact Information
Barbara Eckenfels
Executive Director of International Programs   936.294.4455  CHSS 190 C
Recruiter and Special Programs Coordinator   936.294.4737  F116 D
Pat Herrington
International Undergraduate Advisor   936.294.3892  F116 F
Justin Ball
International Graduate Advisor   936.294.4607  F116 E

Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340
Phone: 936-294-4737

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor