Check In | Important Documents | Medical Insurance | Dependent Information | Maintaining Status | Extension of Stay | Transfer Process | Changing Status | Traveling | 12 and 24 Month Bar | Two-Year Home Residency Requirement | J-1 Scholars Home
Before beginning the transfer process, a scholar must make an appointment to speak with the international scholar advisor.
A visiting scholar may transfer from one program sponsor to another if the purpose of the transfer is to complete the objective for which he or she was admitted to exchange visitor status, and if the scholar remains within the same participant category (for example short term scholar, research scholar, or visiting professor).
A transfer cannot take place without the approval of the transfer-out program.
Steps a scholar should take:
- Make an appointment with the international scholar advisor/Responsible Officer or Alternate Responsible Officer at your current host sponsor institution to discuss situation and a possible "transfer effective date."
- Obtain approval from host department supervisor
- Obtain approval of a new sponsor
- Submit "transfer out" form from current host sponsor institution
- Submit "transfer in" form from new host sponsor institution
- Obtain new DS-2019 at the new host sponsor institution after arrival and check in.
The Office of International Programs (OIP) is responsible for all international students and scholars once they arrive at Sam Houston State University. We are glad to assist each department here at SHSU in bringing international students, visiting scholars/researchers and international faculty members to our campus.
International students and scholars that have questions regarding their time here at SHSU can always visit us in OIP, we are located in the Farrington Building, room 116. You can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (936) 294-4737.
OIP provides information on most immigration issues and concerns for all international students and scholars here at SHSU. We are glad to help with other issues such as cultural adjustment, language barrier, financial problems, and health related matters during your time at SHSU. OIP offer several events during the year for all international students and scholars at SHSU.
JOIN us on FACEBOOK or TWITTER
Executive Director of International Programs
|Dana Van De Walker
Recruiter and Special Programs Coordinator
International Student and Scholar Advisor
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340