Extension of Stay

 Dependent Information | Extension of Stay | Maintaining Status | Transfer Process
J-1 Scholars Home

Extension of Stay

J scholars who are maintaining lawful J-1 exchange visitor status are eligible to apply for an extension within the limits of their category.

For example, the limit for a Short Term Scholar is 6 months. The limit for Research Scholars and Visiting Professors is 5 years.


Be sure to allow sufficient time for processing of your request. Extensions MUST be approved prior to the ending date on your current DS-2019. The Office of International Programs will not guarantee last minute requests.

Steps You Must Take:

  1. Meet with the contact person in your host department. They will complete an J-1 Request Form and return it to The Office of International Programs based on the new information you and your sponsor provide. If you are eligible, The Office of International Programs will issue a new DS-2019 with the amended date and return it to you.
  2. Provide evidence of funding for the extension period to your department contact person.
  3. Provide evidence of insurance coverage for you and any J-2 dependents is also required for the new extension period.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of International Programs.


Contact Information
Barbara Eckenfels
Executive Director of International Programs
 eckenfels@shsu.edu   936.294.4455  CHSS 190 C
Amber Li
Recruiter and Special Programs Coordinator
 amberli@shsu.edu   936.294.2746  F116 D
Pat Herrington
International Undergraduate Advisor
 ugrad.intl@shsu.edu   936.294.3892  F116 F
Justin Ball
International Graduate Advisor
 grad.intl@shsu.edu   936.294.4607  F116 E

Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340
Phone: 936-294-4737

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor