Sam Houston State University International Student
Health Insurance and Waiver
Welcome to the Sam Houston State University Student Health Insurance Plan. Academic HealthPlans administers the student health insurance plan that is underwritten by United Health Care.
Sam Houston State University requires that all nonimmigrant SHSU students maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment.
Academic HealthPlans, beginning August 1,2015, will also administer the student health insurance waivers. All international students (any student who is in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa) is required to have health insurance. Enrolled international students will have the insurance premium automatically charged to their student accounts. Coverage for Fall 2015 through Summer 2016 will begin August 15, 2015 and end August 14, 2016. You may apply for a waiver starting August 1, 2015 through September 15, 2015 if you already have coverage under an alternate health insurance plan that meets certain criteria requirements.
Only students with documentation of an embassy or U.S. employer health insurance plan that meets all of the requirements below are eligible to receive an insurance waiver. An Embassy plan, for the purpose of waiver requirements, is defined as a plan that provides health insurance benefits guaranteed by the student’s home country through an embassy located in the U.S. A U.S. employer plan, for the purpose of waiver requirements, is defined as a plan that provides health insurance through a company that maintains operations in the U.S. and has an office in the U.S. that is able to verify the insured’s coverage.
- Obtain documentation clearly indicating that the coverage meets each of the requirements listed below. All of the information must be in English. The plan must be an embassy or U.S. employer plan as defined above with a U.S. contact that can verify insurance coverage. Additionally, the plan must meet the following requirements:
- Unlimited maximum per Policy Year
- Pre-existing limitations - None
- $7,500 for repatriation and $10,000 for medical evacuation (available for $96/year)
- Individual Deductible of $6,350 – Network / $12,700 – Out of Network or less
- Family Deductible of $12,700 – Network / $25,400 – Out of Network or less
- Maximum included: Deductible, medical copays, co-insurance and pharmacy copays
- Proof of medical evacuation and repatriation coverage benefits
- Acceptable Insurance Company Rating indicating one of the following: (embassy plans are exempt from this requirement)
A.M. Best rating of A- or above,
ISI rating of A- or above,
Standard & Poor’s Claims-Paying Ability rating of A- or above, -or-
Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above
PLEASE NOTE: TRAVEL PLANS OR PLANS THAT REQUIRE YOU TO PAY FOR TREATMENT YOURSELF AND THEN APPLY FOR REIMBURSEMENT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTABLE FOR WAIVER
If you meet the waiver eligibility requirement and have an alternate health insurance plan, please follow these instructions to apply for the waiver through AHP. All waiver requests must be submitted no later than September 15, 2015 to be considered.
- Have a scanned image of your insurance card (front and back), Policy Benefits Documentation, and proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Coverage (if you have this coverage) available.
- Go to http:/www.shsu.myahpcare.com/waiver
- Verify that you meet the waiver criteria, and if you do, select the large button at the bottom to continue.
- If criteria is met, click on the waiver link and log on to the waiver system by entering your SAM ID number and Date of Birth in MMDDYYYY format as the password.
- Select the red waiver button under the “NO, I do not want the insurance.”
- Complete the waiver form and attach copies of your scanned insurance documents.
- Select the ‘Submit Waiver’ button.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Office of International Programs.
Executive Director of International Programs
|email@example.com||936.294.4455||CHSS 190 C|
Recruiter and Special Programs Coordinator
International Undergraduate Advisor
International Graduate Advisor
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340