IMPORTANT: ADMISSION TO THE ELI DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ADMISSION TO SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY. PLEASE READ THE ELI STUDENT HANDBOOK FOR FULL INFORMATION OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE.
Includes Orientation Dates for New Students
|Summer 2015||June 8 - July 31||Spring II||March 14 - May 13|
|Fall I 2015||August 24 - October 16||Summer 2016||June 6 - August 5|
|Fall II 2015
||October 26 - December18||Fall I 2016||August 22 - October 21|
|Spring I 2016||January 18 - March 11||Fall II 2016||August 22 - October 21|
Each student is placed into one of fours levels based on the results of the Placement Test given upon arrival at the English Language Institute.
|Level 1||High Beginner|
|Level 2||Low Intermediate|
|Level 3||High Intermediate|
|Level 5||University Transitional Level|
*Students are expected to complete one level (levels 2 thru 5) per 8 week session. Level one students will be enrolled for a 16 week session. If a student fails to achieve the learning objectives for a level, the level must be repeated the following session.
ELI CLASSES INCLUDE:
- Listening & Speaking: Students develop oral communication abilities with a variety of media and activities. (5 classroom hours weekly)
- Reading: Students work on literacy skills to increase fluency while reading texts. (5 classroom hours weekly)
- Writing: Students work on literacy skills to increase fluency while writing texts. (5 classroom hours weekly)
- Integrated Communication Skills: Using a Project based approach, students work on advanced level literacy skills to increase fluency and gain confidence they need to continue in undergraduate or graduate courses in the university. Students study the structure of English grammar in context and apply it using integrated tasks. (5 classroom hours weekly)
- Conversation: Students improve conversational skills through authentic experience such as guest speakers and field trips while applying concepts learned in the core curriculum, including grammar, vocabulary, and idiomatic expression. (2 classroom hours weekly)
- Pronunciation: Interactive language lab where students improve their skills and performance in pronunciation of the English language. (2 classroom hours weekly)
Enrollment is limited to eighteen students per class. If fewer than five students register for a particular core level, the ELI may choose to cancel classes for that level.
ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION
To be successful, a language program must assess students’ achievement of learning objectives and evaluate staff, textbooks and services. The ELI assesses students using:
- Grades based on attendance, participation, coursework and testing
- Student achievement of leveled learning outcomes
To evaluate the effectiveness of the staff, textbooks and overall program, the ELI uses:
- Annual performance appraisals for staff based on evaluation by the supervisor
- Classroom observations by supervisor and external curriculum consultants
- Student evaluations of the program services, materials, activities and staff
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Each semester, the Sam Houston State University Testing Center provides multiple chances to take the TOEFL iBT for use in university admissions . For more information on the test or to register, please click the button below:
ELI students may qualify to waive the TOEFL requirement for admission to SHSU Undergraduate Admissions. See the following policy for more information:
- On-Campus Housing (optional): If you would like to stay in university housing (approximate cost: $15 per day), please contact the SHSU Residence Life Office or see this application guide to apply for on-campus housing. You will need to be conditionally accepted to SHSU and have a SAMID in order to apply.
- Off-Campus Housing: Many local housing units are walking distance from campus and some provide shuttle service to and from campus. Apartment Listings
Our professional staff in the Office of International Programs provides free advising and assistance with immigration issues for all ELI students.
Health insurance is required for all international students. International students are automatically enrolled, and the premium will be added to their tuition bill.
|English Language Institute|
|Dana Van De Walker
Special Programs Coordinator for International Programs and Recruiter for English Language Institute
| Courtney Miller
Administrative Associate II of English Language Institute
ELI Training Specialist
ELI Training Specialist
ELI Training Specialist
ELI Student Worker
Email: ELI@shsu.edu Phone: (936) 294-4991
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340