IMPORTANT: ADMISSION TO THE ELI DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ADMISSION TO SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIVERSITY. PLEASE READ THE ELI STUDENT HANDBOOK FOR FULL INFORMATION OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE INSTITUTE.
|Fall I 2014||August 25 - October 17|
|Fall II 2014||October 20 - December 19|
|Spring I 2015||January 12 - March 13|
|Spring II 2015||March 16 - May 15|
|Summer 2015||June 8 - July 31|
Each student is placed into one of five levels based on the results of the Placement Test given upon arrival at the English Language Institute.
|Level 1||Upper Beginning|
|Level 3||Upper Intermediate|
|Level 5||University Transition Level|
*Students are expected to complete one level per 8 week session. If a student fails to achieve the learning objectives for a level, the course must be repeated the following session.
ELI CLASSES INCLUDE:
- Listening & Speaking: Students develop oral communication abilities with a variety of media and activities.
- Reading: Students work on literacy skills to increase fluency while reading texts.
- Grammar: Students study the structure of English and apply it using integrated tasks.
- Writing: Students work on literacy skills to increase fluency while writing texts.
- TOEFL Preparation: Students will gain the skills, strategies and confidence they need to improve their performance on the TOEFL exam.
- Conversation Practice: Students will improve conversational skills through authentic experience and practical application of concepts learned in the core curriculum, including grammar, vocabulary, and idiomatic expression.
- Writing for Academic Success: Students will gain the skills, strategies and confidence they need to continue in undergraduate or graduate courses in the university.
- Reading for Academic Success: Students work on advanced level literacy skills to increase fluency while reading texts and gain confidence they need to continue in undergraduate or graduate courses in the university.
- Pronunciation: Students will improve their skills and performance in pronunciation the English language.
- Guided Research
Enrollment is limited to eighteen students per class. If fewer than five students register for a particular core level, the ELI may choose to cancel classes for that level.
ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION
To be successful, a language program must assess students’ achievement of learning objectives and evaluate staff, textbooks and services. The ELI assesses students using:
- Grades based on attendance, participation, coursework and testing
- Student achievement of leveled learning outcomes
To evaluate the effectiveness of the staff, textbooks and overall program, the ELI uses:
- Annual performance appraisals for staff based on evaluation by the supervisor
- Classroom observations by supervisor and external curriculum consultants
- Student evaluations of the program services, materials, activities and staff
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
Each semester, the Sam Houston State University Testing Center provides multiple chances to take the TOEFL iBT for use in university admissions . For more information on the test or to register, please click the button below:
ELI students may qualify to waive the TOEFL requirement for admission to SHSU Undergraduate Admissions. See the following policy for more information:
Students have several options for where to stay during their time in Huntsville. Dorm housing is available but sometimes can be difficult to secure. Surrounding the university are a number of apartment complexes, including some that offer free transportation to and from the campus. Also, some students find local friends to stay with, which decreases expenses significantly. If you need help finding a place to live, please contact our office or visit http://www.shsu.edu/~hou_www/.
Our professional staff in the Office of International Programs provides free advising and assistance with immigration issues for all ELI students.
Health insurance is required for all international students. International students are automatically enrolled, and the premium will be added to their tuition bill.
|English Language Institute|
|Dr. Joseph Slick
Director of English Language Institute
Administrative Associate of English Language Institute
Email: ELI@shsu.edu Phone: (936) 294-4991
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340