- Application Form: Please fill out the ELI application form and return to ELI coordinator via mail, fax or email.
- $50 Application Fee: The application fee (US$50), if possible, should be in the form of an international money order made payable to "SHSU-ELI." This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Transcripts: Copies of transcripts from your most recently attended school, in English, need to be submitted to the ELI along with your application.
- Bank Statement: As a financial guarantee, please include a statement from a bank for one year's school and living expenses. The statement must show at least USD $16,000 in the account. The statement must be original, dated, signed, and written in English. If you plan to come to the U.S. with any dependents, please include $2,000 more for each dependent who will come with you.
If your tuition is to be paid by someone else, then, instead of your bank statement, we will need an original, current, dated sponsor's bank statement (showing amounts as indicated above) along with the document titled Sponsor's Declaration of Support. The sponsor must sign the Declaration of Support. You can download this document using the following link: SPONSOR'S DECLARATION OF SUPPORT
- Copy of valid passport: The passport expiration date must be at least one year after your expected program start date. If the passport picture and information are not legible, your application may be denied. Please send a good copy with the other documents.
- On-Campus Housing (optional): If you would like to stay in university housing (approximate cost: $15 per day), please contact the SHSU Residence Life Office.There you will also find information on housing available off-campus.
- TOEFL or IELTS test results: Students must provide either a TOEFL or IELTS score indicating that they have basic level of English that is required to be able to enter LEVEL 1. This must be provided with the application and the application cannot be processed until this has been provided. Students with no level of English or a limited basic level of English cannot be accommodated into Level 1 and will not be eligible for acceptance.
After we receive the above documents and application fee, your application will be reviewed and an acceptance decision made. You will receive an email notification with the outcome soon after review. Upon admission to the program, you will need to follow these steps to order shipment to your home address for the I-20 form and letter of acceptance:
1. Go to https://study.eshipglobal.com/.
2. Click on "Student sign up."
3. Fill out the Registration form and click on "Register".
4. Check your email inbox for the activation email and click on the activation link.
5. If activation is successful, you will be sent an email confirmation.
6. Return to https://study.eshipglobal.com/ and login using your email and password.
7.Follow the instructions at the following link to order shipment:https://study.eshipglobal.com/help/default.asp?page=4
You will have to take the I-20 to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and submit an application for an F-1 visa along with an application fee. For more information about obtaining a visa, please refer to the following governmental website: How to obtain a student visa for study in the United States
After you receive your F-1 visa, you should make travel arrangements allowing you to arrive a few days before the first day of class. We will be happy to meet you at Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when you arrive and bring you to the Sam Houston campus if you let us know your flight number and time of arrival at least a week in advance. Please fill out the Airport pick-up form to reserve transportation for when you arrive.
Application should be made as far in advance as possible, at least six weeks before the start date for applicants outside the U.S. If a student wishes to apply for study in the intensive English program, he/she should return the application materials to Sam Houston State University. The mailing address is:
Office of International Programs
English Language Institute
SHSU Box 2150
Huntsville, TX 77341-2150
Phone: 936-294-4737 / Fax: 936-294-4620
Web Page: www.shsu.edu//dept/international-programs/index.html
If you have any questions about our program or the application process, please call the ELI Office at 936-294-3446 or email ELI@shsu.edu
|English Language Institute|
|Dr. Joseph Slick
Director of English Language Institute
Administrative Associate of English Language Institute
Email: ELI@shsu.edu Phone: (936) 294-4991
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340