- Application Form: Please fill out the ELI application form and return to ELI coordinator via mail, fax or email.
- $50 Application Fee: The application fee (US$50), if possible, should be in the form of an international money order made payable to "SHSU-ELI." This fee is non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Transcripts: Copies of transcripts from your most recently attended school, in English, need to be submitted to the ELI along with your application.
- Bank Statement: As a financial guarantee, please include a statement from a bank for one year's school and living expenses. The statement must show at least USD $18,000 in the account. The statement must be original, dated, signed, and written in English. If you plan to come to the U.S. with any dependents, please include $2,000 more for each dependent who will come with you.
If your tuition is to be paid by someone else, then, instead of your bank statement, we will need an original, current, dated sponsor's bank statement (showing amounts as indicated above) along with the document titled Sponsor's Declaration of Support. The sponsor must sign the Declaration of Support. You can download this document using the following link: SPONSOR'S DECLARATION OF SUPPORT
- Copy of valid passport: The passport expiration date must be at least one year after your expected program start date. If the passport picture and information are not legible, your application may be denied. Please send a good copy with the other documents.
- TOEFL or IELTS test results: Students can provide either a TOEFL or IELTS score indicating that they have basic level of English that is required to be able to enter LEVEL 1. Students that cannot provide a TOEFL or IELTS score must be interviewed by ELI Staff. Students with no level of English or a limited basic level of English cannot be accommodated into Level 1 and will not be eligible for acceptance.
The ELI does not post deadlines for application submissions. Applications should be submitted and completely processed no later than two weeks prior to start date, allowing time for VISA appointments and travel arrangements to be made.
- On-Campus Housing (optional): If you would like to stay in university housing (approximate cost: $15 per day), please contact the SHSU Residence Life Office or see this application guide to apply for on-campus housing. You will need to be conditional accepted to SHSU and have a SAMID in order to apply.
- Off-Campus Housing: Many local housing units are walking distance from campus and some provide shuttle service to and from campus. Apartment Listings
Once accepted, you will need to pay your $200 SEVIS fee and schedule an appointment with at the US Embassy in your country.
Receiving Your Original Documents
After we receive the above documents and application fee, your application will be reviewed and an acceptance decision made. You will receive an email notification with the outcome soon after review. Upon admission to the program, you will need to follow these steps to order shipment to your home address for the I-20 form and letter of acceptance:
2. Fill out the Registration form and click on "Register".
3. Check your email inbox for the activation email and click on the activation link.
4. If activation is successful, you will be sent an email confirmation.
5. Return to https://study.eshipglobal.com/default.asp and login using your email and password.
6. Follow the instructions to order shipment. https://study.eshipglobal.com/help/default.asp?page=8
For students who are entering the United States for the first time to attend SHSU, OIP provides transportation from the airport to Huntsville from George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH). These new students will need to complete an airport pick up form 7 days before their departure to request this service. Click this link to complete the airport pickup form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/airportpickupshsu
Application should be made as far in advance as possible, at least six weeks before the start date for applicants outside the U.S. If a student wishes to apply for study in the intensive English program, he/she should return the application materials to Sam Houston State University. The mailing address is:
Office of International Programs
English Language Institute
SHSU Box 2150
Huntsville, TX 77341-2150
Phone: 936-294-4737 / Fax: 936-294-4620
Web Page: www.shsu.edu//dept/international-programs/index.html
If you have any questions about our program or the application process, please call the ELI Office at 936-294-4991 or email ELI@shsu.edu
|English Language Institute|
Administrative Associate of English Language Institute
Email: ELI@shsu.edu Phone: (936) 294-4991
Office of International Programs
Farrington Building, Suite 116, Huntsville, TX 77340