Frequently Asked Questions


How do I request data?

To request data, please click the "Submit IE Work Order" link on the navigation bar to the right. Depending on the level of detail and request specifications, data requests will require from a few days to several weeks to be completed.  Please be as specific in terms of cohorts, terms, and variables as possible.  Also, it is requested a tentative deadline be provided in each work order request.  Questions about pending work orders can be routed to: Martha Blume, Administrative Assistant, at 936-294-4382.


Back to Top

Where can I find data on enrollment, graduation and other statistics?

Official certified data, such as enrollment and graduation rates, are available from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board Accountability website; however, IE will gladly provide this data as requested through the "Submit IE Work Order" link. 

Back to Top

Why doesn't the IE Office report individual data?

In most cases, federal law prohibits the dissemination of individual student information, and Institutional Research ethical guidelines stress the protection of the privacy of small or easily identifiable groups.

Back to Top

Who is the primary contact for faculty data?

Ms. Karen Whitney, Senior Administrative Coordinator for Academic Affairs, at (936) 294-1007 can address questions regarding SHSU faculty reports.  If you are unsure as to the source of your data needs, please submit a work order request to IE, and we will be happy to assist you.

Back to Top

What is the Institutional Effectiveness library?

The library is a depository for journals, books, SACS manuals, university data reports and other information. This library is free of charge for viewing or for you to make copies. If, upon viewing our library, you find the library lacking in essential material please contact the IE staff at 936-294-4382 or with suggestions.

Back to Top

Can the IE Office send out my surveys?

At SHSU, internal surveys for bona fide business purposes are facilitated by IT@Sam in LimeSurvey.  The Office of Institutional Effectiveness can assist you with pre-survey study methodology and post-survey results analysis for paper, phone, and web surveys. IE does not authorize or approve a department's decision to conduct a survey, and in some cases IE will require documentation that internal authorizations were obtained, including, but not limited to, Institutional Review Board, Divisional Vice President, and Academic College Chair, Dean or Provost.

Back to Top

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor