It is the policy of Sam Houston State University (SHSU) to administer and maintain a classification, compensation and staffing program based on the following principles:
- Fill every position with the best suited applicant available without regard to race, creed, ancestry, marital status, citizenship, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity;
- Provide for the correct evaluation, description, classification, and compensation of staff positions to ensure equal pay for equal work;
- Provide the necessary flexibility in the classification, compensation and staffing process to meet the needs of a growing university;
- Consider the external market value of positions while maintaining internal equity; and
- Reward and retain employees who exhibit meritorious service.
The Compensation Plan is one of the cornerstones of Sam Houston State University's Affirmative Action Plan for achieving equal opportunity. The grouping of like duties and responsibilities under standard job classifications for purposes of salary determination is basic to meeting non-discrimination compliance standards and for ensuring equal pay for equal work. Sam Houston State University recruits, hires, trains, assigns, compensates, promotes, demotes, transfers, classifies, and provides facilities regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, or sexual orientation.
To encourage and ensure compliance with equal employment opportunity, SHSU adheres to the following policies:
- Human Resources Policy E-1, "Staffing"
- Human Resources Policy WS-1, "Classification of Non-Faculty Jobs"
- Human Resources Policy WS-2, "Staff Salary Administration"