AVAILABLE TO TRANSFER STUDENTS: The following scholarships, listed by department, are available to transfer students. For additional information, contact the specific department. Application to most can be made through the ScholarX website.
The following scholarships are awarded in the spring, through the Division of Academic Affairs, for the next academic year:
BRUCE/HILLEGEIST ENDOWMENT SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per semester for two semesters. The recipients may be selected from the incoming freshmen, SHSU or transfer students. The recipients must be full-time, major in any discipline, and maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 while attending Sam Houston State University. Scholarship deadline is Feb. 1st.
- THE UNDERGRADUATE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP: Is a competitive scholarship awarded to entering freshmen, Sam Houston State University undergraduate and transfer students whose academic accomplishments and university or community citizenship are excellent in every respect. This competitive scholarship is intended for a full time student enrolled as a resident, nonresidents or a citizen of a country other than the United States of America, maintaining not less than a 3.25 GPA. The award amount is determined on the availability of funds.
- VIVIAN REID MEHR SCHOLARSHIP: $500 per semester; Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student enrolled at SHSU and majoring in any discipline; entering or returning to college after raising a family or planning a second career. 3.0 GPA requirement. Application deadline is March 1.
- AMATO BROTHERS SCHOLARSHIP: $3,000 per year; Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student, majoring in any discipline, demonstrate financial need, and exhibit commitment to continue and complete their education. The recipient must maintain not less than a 2.5 GPA in major and overall.
- Transfer Scholarship: $1,000 - $3,000; Recipient must be accepted to SHSU, Previous attendance at an accredited community college and/or University. At least 45 transferrable credit hours. Completed Bearkat Transfer Scholarship Application.
- BENTWATER® SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a current employee of Bentwater®, Bentwater® employee's spouse, legal dependent, child or grandchild; have a high school degree, be a full-time or part-time graduate or undergraduate student (incoming Freshmen and transfer students included) in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University or Lone Star College System majoring in any discipline; enrolled in a minimum of six hours per semester. Co-curricular activities, work experience, community service, and financial needs in addition to scholastic record will be considered. GPA of 2.50 required. Application deadline is February 1st.
- SENIOR CLASS LEGACY SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Donor will reward one or more annual scholarships of $1,000 to a full-time sophomore, junior or senior student, including sophomore, junior or senior transfer students, in good standing, major in any discipline; overall GPA of 2.50 and demonstrate a financial need.
- JOHN P. HUGHES MEMORIAL ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $1000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time student of any classification; majoring in any discipline; must demonstrate financial need; have had challenges in their life and overcome adversity; and maintain an overall GPA of 2.5. *Overcoming adversities will take priority over financial need.*
COLLEGE OF SCIENCES
SAM HOUSTON STATE UNIV. COMPUTER SCIENCE DEPARTMENT SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be an incoming freshman, transfer student or graduate student (or a combination) in good standing and majoring in Computer Science; demonstrated financial need; preference given to a student graduating in the top 10% of their class, whose overall GPA is 3.0 or higher. GPA of 2.70 for undergraduates or 3.0 for graduates is required. For additional information, contact Peter Cooper, email; firstname.lastname@example.org
- PRESTON LEO REEDER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies; one award annually; major in field of agriculture; minimum 3.0 GPA; preference to students from Fannin County, Texas; selection based on demonstrated financial need.
- SOUTHWEST MEAT SUPPLIERS ASSOCIATED SCHOLARSHIP: $500; one award annually; major in field of agriculture with interest in career in the meat industry.
CAPITAL FARM CREDIT SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000; one to five awards annually; major in agricultural business; minimum GPA of 2.75 (returning and transfer students); minimum SAT score of 900 or ACT score of 19, and rank in top 50% of graduating class (entering freshmen students); demonstrated financial need and leadership.
SHSU AGRICULTURE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP: $1000; one award annually; full-time undergraduate student at SHSU; major in field of agriculture; minimum GPA of 2.75.
DALE BROWN SCHOLARSHIP: $1000; at least one award annually; full-time undergraduate student at SHSU; major in field of agriculture; minimum GPA of 2.75.
G.H. MORRISON ENDOWMENT SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies; at least one award annually; full-time undergraduate student at SHSU; major in field of agriculture; good character.
HOMER AND VERA RAWLINSON SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies; at least one award annually; full-time undergraduate student at SHSU; major in field of agriculture; minimum GPA of 2.50.
GREATER HOUSTON BUILDERS ASSOCIATION SCHOLARSHIP:$1200; one award annually; undergraduate student in good standing at SHSU; major in Construction Management; demonstrated financial need.
- THOMAS J. AND PATSY P. FRANK INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY SCHOLARSHIP ENDOWMENT: Amount varies; at least one award annually; full-time undergraduate or graduate student at SHSU; major in field of industrial technology; working towards career in teaching industrial technology; demonstrate financial need; minimum GPA of 3.00.
- BETTYE HILL KNOX SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 minimum, to a full-time undergraduate student or incoming freshman in good standing; major in Mathematics; and have and maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0. Preference will be given to incoming freshmen, if no freshmen qualify, may be given to sophomore, junior or senior with a minimum 2 long semesters remaining. Financial Aid will be considered.
- JOE GLENN BURLESON AGRIBUSINESS SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies per year. Recipient must be a full-time student in good standing majoring in Agribusiness; be a graduate from Robert E. Lee High School entering as a freshman, or a graduate or transfer student from Lee College in Baytown, Texas; demonstrate financial need; be a high performing high school student with demonstrated involvement in extra-curricular activities and community service; and be a natural born citizen of the United States. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is March 20th.
COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS AND MASS COMMUNICATIONS
- ERICA STARR MEMORIAL THEATER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $3,000 per year. Recipient must be a student in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University majoring in theater and showing an interest in the technical side of theatre, (lighting, costumes, scenery), and demonstrate some financial need. GPA of 2.00 is required.
- KATHERINE AND GLENN PAYN THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 minimum, to a full-time undergraduate student in good standing; majoring in Theatre, not to include Musical Theatre; have a strong interest in non-musical acting and directing; maintain over GPA of 2.5 Financial Aid will be considered but not a determining factor.
DEAN OF STUDENT'S OFFICE
- LIBBY BRITT-PHILO/ZETA TAU ALPHA MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: $200 annually. Must be a junior or senior member of Zeta Tau Alpha sorority and living in the ZTA sorority house. Must demonstrate financial need.
- ORANGE PRIDE: $500 per long semester. Must maintain a 2.5 GPA and be a full-time student. Tryouts for the team are held in April.
- SHSU CHEERLEADERS: $400 per long semester. Must maintain a 2.4 GPA and be a full-time student. Up to 8 males and 8 females. Tryouts for the team are held in April. 6. SHSU MASCOTS: $400 per long semester. Must maintain a 2.4 GPA and be a full-time student. 1 male and 1 female. Tryouts for the mascots are held in April.
- CHARLES W. JONES III MEN'S LACROSSE SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in good standing, majoring in any discipline; and be one of the 15 starting members of the Sam Houston State University men's lacrosse team, as determined by the men's lacrosse coach. GPA of 2.0 is required. Application deadline is December 1st.
DEPARTMENT OF INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS
- Sam Houston State University competes at the NCAA Division I level (I-AA in football) in 15 varsity sports. The Bearkats are members of the Southland Conference and have a tradition of excellence that includes national championships in baseball, golf and softball and NCAA playoff appearances in football, basketball, volleyball, baseball, softball, golf and track and field. The intercollegiate sports in which SHSU fields teams are football, volleyball, men's/women's cross country, men's/women's basketball, baseball, softball, men's/women's golf, women's tennis, and men's/women's indoor/outdoor track and field. Athletic scholarships are offered in all sports. Request information from: Sam Houston State University Athletic Department, Box 2268 Huntsville, TX 77341-2268, (936) 294-1726.
- ELLIOTT T. BOWERS SCHOLARSHIP: Available up to four years totaling up to $2800. Any student who has been accepted to the Elliott T. Bowers Honors Program and is currently in good standing within the program is eligible to apply.
- AUGUSTA LAWRENCE SCHOLARSHIP: $500 per semester for two semesters. Any member of the Elliott T. Bowers Honors Program in good standing who will be a junior or senior is eligible to apply.
- RICHARD A. CORDING SCHOLARS ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: Amount varies. Recipient must be an incoming full-time freshman student, majoring in any discipline, and be accepted as a member of the Elliott T. Bowers Honors Program. Application submission deadline: Feb. 1st
OFFICE OF UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS
- PHI THETA KAPPA TRANSFER SCHOLARSHIP: Up to 10 $1,000 scholarships are offered each year ($500 awarded in Fall semester and $500 awarded in Spring semester) to ten students and are determined on a competitive basis. Recipients must: have completed a minimum of 45 hours with a GPA of 3.5 or higher at a junior or community college; be a full-time student (minimum 12 credit hours per semester) while at SHSU; transfer directly from a community or junior college; be a Phi Theta Kappa member in good standing at the time of transfer; become an active member of the Beta of Texas Alumni Chapter at SHSU. The priority date is June 1 for which to receive the application and all transcripts (including transcript through the Spring semester). Complete ScholarX application here. If you have any questions, please contact one of the Staff Advisors, Keith Ahee or April Cano, at Box 2418, Huntsville, TX 77341-2419, (936)294-4689 or (936)294-3988; email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org