Registration fee includes:
- Recruitment T-Shirt (For early registration, late registration may be limited)
- Various Group Events
- Recruitment Operation Costs
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When is Recruitment?
Recruitment is generally held during the first week of school. This year the dates are August 26-31, 2014.
2. How much is Recruitment?
Early registration (June 12- August 15) will cost $80, late registration (August 15-August 25)will cost $100. These sues cover snacks and recruitment shirts for the week of recruitment.
3. Do we have to visit all the houses?
Yes, the first days of recruitment are designed this way because we want you to meet all the women who make up the Panhellenic family. After you join the sorority of your choice we are all still connected as Greek sisters.
4. Do I have to have a certain amount of college credit before going through recruitment?
5. Do I need to have recommendation letters?
The SHSU Panhellenic Association does not require references or recommendations. However, if you do want to submit one, you can mail it to the Dean of Students Office, or to the Recruitment Director.
6. Is there a GPA requirement?
Yes, we require a 2.5 minimum GPA.
7. What are chapter dues for a New Member? Active?
All organizations have different dues, but you can expect New Members dues to be between $600-$1000, and Active dues between $400-$600 per semester.
8. If I’m not sure about recruitment right now, can I join in the Spring?
Spring recruitment is determined by the success of Fall Recruitment, so we may or may not have Spring Recruitment. You can contact Panhellenic through the Dean of Students Office to find more about this process.
9. Do the sororities have houses? Do I have to live in the house?
Four of the five chapters at SHSU have houses on campus. There is a 2 year living requirement for each of the chapters.
10. Can I still join if I am involved in other organizations?
Panhellenic women are involved in many other organizations at the University. We encourage involvement and learning to effectively manage our time and how to excel in all fields.
11. Should I sign up for recruitment if I am not sure if sorority life is for me?
Yes, going through the recruitment process allows many oopportunities to meet and get to know many great women, as well as learn more about different events held at Sam Houston State University.
12. How long is the new member process?
Depending on the chapter, the new member period will be between 6-8 weeks.
13. What if I am a legacy?
The chapters will be informed, but you will still go through the whole recruitment process so that you are able to meet all the women in each chapter.
14. Do sororities haze?
No, every Panhellenic sorority at SHSU follows a zerotolerance for hazing policy. We educate our members on the SHSU Hazing policies, as well as the State of Texas policies.
For any other questions you may have, please email SHSUpanhellenic@gmail.com.