We at Sam Houston State University are committed to the inclusion of all students. SHSU’s Institutional Mission Statement emphasizes the importance of promoting and supporting diversity.
The Counseling Center offers Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning (LGBTQ) training sessions - known as HAVEN. See below for the next upcoming training. HAVEN is a campus-wide effort that began in 2009. It was created to promote inclusion and advocacy on campus so that faculty and staff members could provide a "safe zone" for the LGBTQ community to discuss issues without having to worry about being discriminated against or admonished for their sexual orientation. HAVEN trainings will provide LGBTQ information, available resources, and discussions on LGBTQ topics and how it relates to the college culture. In a one hour session, we collaboratively discuss LGBTQ equity, promote awareness and understanding of LGBTQ concerns, present information on how to be a helpful and effective ally, along with providing valuable resources for LGBTQ topics. The session combines lecture with activities and interactive discussion.
1. Providing facts and correcting false and uninformed information on the topics of sexual and gender identity
2. Recognizing struggles in the environment that affect LGBTQ individuals
3. Identifying and discussing strategies to reduce discrimination toward the LGBTQ community
4. Learning skills and information for making appropriate referrals
5. Raising awareness of the damaging impact of homophobia and heterosexism on all people
We believe all students at SHSU should feel safe regarding their sexual orientation.
Fall 2013 HAVEN LGBTQ Training Conference
We are pleased to announce the HAVEN LGBTQ Training Conference for Fall 2013. We will offer one training session to which faculty, staff, and students are all welcome. HAVEN is sponsored by the SHSU Counseling Center and will be taking place on November 6, 2013 from 5:00pm – 6:00pm in LSC 307.
The HAVEN LGBTQ training conference will provide:
- An opportunity to develop a better understanding of sexual orientation diversity issues and their impact upon individuals, SHSU, and society.
- A sexual orientation diversity discourse which increases inter-cultural communication, understanding, and being an effective and helpful ally.
- An opportunity for promoting greater awareness and openness to sexual orientation diversity issues and struggles.
Please register by contacting Dr. Maryam Ilahi at the SHSU Counseling Center at (936)294-1720 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited to 30 attendees. Participation is on a first-come, first-serve basis. You must register by Monday, November 4th. Faculty members, please consider announcing this opportunity in class and offering extra credit points for attendance.
Additional LGBTQ Resources
Gamma Sigma Kappa (GSK - Gay/Straight Kats) is a Gay-Straight Alliance is an on campus organization that serves as a political, educational, social, and support group for the LGBTIQ community and allies in the Sam Houston State University community.
Toll-free 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)
Emotional Challenges Faced by LGBT Students
Sam Houston Counseling Center
Box 2059 | Huntsville, TX 77341-2059 |Phone: 936.294.1720 |Fax: 936.294.3794