We at Sam Houston State University are committed to the inclusion of all students. SHSU’s Institutional Mission Statement emphasizes the importance of promoting and supporting diversity.
The Counseling Center offers Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Questioning (LGBTQ) training sessions - known as HAVEN. Visit this page again, call us, or stop by the Counseling Center at the start of each semester to learn about the date and time of the next training. HAVEN is a campus-wide effort that began in 2009. It was created to promote inclusion and advocacy on campus so that faculty and staff members could provide a "safe zone" for the LGBTQ community to discuss issues without having to worry about being discriminated against or admonished for their sexual orientation. HAVEN trainings will provide LGBTQ information, available resources, and discussions on LGBTQ topics and how it relates to the college culture. In a one hour session, we collaboratively discuss LGBTQ equity, promote awareness and understanding of LGBTQ concerns, present information on how to be a helpful and effective ally, along with providing valuable resources for LGBTQ topics. The session combines lecture with activities and interactive discussion.
1. Providing facts and correcting false and uninformed information on the topics of sexual and gender identity
2. Recognizing struggles in the environment that affect LGBTQ individuals
3. Identifying and discussing strategies to reduce discrimination toward the LGBTQ community
4. Learning skills and information for making appropriate referrals
5. Raising awareness of the damaging impact of homophobia and heterosexism on all people
We believe all students at SHSU should feel safe regarding their sexual orientation.
We are pleased to announce the HAVEN LGBTQ training conference for SPRING 2014. We will offer 2 training sessions to which faculty, staff, and students are all welcome.
HAVEN Information on LGB (Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual)
The first session will be held on April 21st from 4:00pm – 5:00pm in LSC 307. This training combines information on sexual orientation diversity along with a group discussion examining the SHSU climate for LGBT. We will discuss:
- An opportunity to develop a better understanding of sexual orientation diversity issues and their impact upon individuals, SHSU, and society.
- A sexual orientation diversity discourse which increases inter-cultural communication, understanding, and being an effective and helpful ally.
- An opportunity for promoting greater awareness and openness to sexual orientation diversity issues and struggles.
- A group discussion regarding the SHSU climate for the LGBT population.
HAVEN Information on Transgender
The second HAVEN session will be held on April 22nd from 4:00pm – 5:00pm in LSC 307. There can be fear and discomfort regarding the transgender community. This training will provide basic information along with exploring some common misunderstandings about the population. The second HAVEN Transgender training will provide:
- Information and resources on transgender health.
- General information on male–to-female and female–to–male transition.
- Tips for effectively engaging with transgender individuals.
Please consider announcing this opportunity in class and offering extra credit points for attendance. Register by contacting Dr. Maryam Ilahi at the SHSU Counseling Center at (936)294-1720 or email at email@example.com. PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH SESSIONYOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND OR BOTH SESSIONS. Space is limited to 30 attendees for each session. Participation is on a first-come, first-serve basis. You must register by Friday, April 19th. Presented by the SHSU Counseling Center.
Additional LGBTQ Resources
Gamma Sigma Kappa (GSK - Gay/Straight Kats) is a Gay-Straight Alliance is an on campus organization that serves as a political, educational, social, and support group for the LGBTIQ community and allies in the Sam Houston State University community.
Toll-free 1-888-THE-GLNH (1-888-843-4564)
Emotional Challenges Faced by LGBT Students
Sam Houston Counseling Center
Box 2059 | Huntsville, TX 77341-2059 |Phone: 936.294.1720 |Fax: 936.294.3794