What is Individual Counseling?
Individual counseling is a growth process through which individuals are helped to define goals, make decisions, and solve problems related to personal, social, educational, and career concerns. This process is carried out with a trained professional and a client.
Individual counseling is a one on one meeting with a counselor that lasts for approximately 50 minutes. During this time you will be expected to do most of the talking while your counselor asks questions and makes comments that are designed to further your understanding and promote a positive resolution to the issues that you are working on. You are entitled to a full explanation regarding what the course of counseling will be like for you.
The counseling process is a partnership between you and a counselor to assist you with life goals and/or to address areas of dissatisfaction in your life. For counseling to be most effective, it is important that you take an active role in the process. This involves keeping scheduled appointments, listening to the counselor, being honest with the counselor, discussing the counseling process with the counselor, and completing agreed upon outside assignments.
What Can I Expect in Individual Counseling?
The following are some of the things that you can expect:
- You will be doing most of the talking.
- Sometimes you may experience painful feelings before you start feeling better.
- What you talk about with the counselor is confidential.
- Your professors and parents WILL NOT be informed about what you discuss during the sessions.
- There are some limits to confidentiality; however, these will be explained and given to you in writing on your first visit.
- While in counseling, you can talk about whatever is concerning you at the time.
- The counselor will help you examine your concerns and assist you in finding a means to fulfill your goals.
Sam Houston Counseling Center
Box 2059 | Huntsville, TX 77341-2059 |Phone: 936.294.1720 |Fax: 936.294.3794