Before the Career Fair
- Clarify your career objectives and prepare a resume.
- Make an appointment with Career Services (936-294-1713) to have your resume critiqued.
- Make sure you will be dressed appropriately in professional business attire on the day of the Career Fair, shopping or taking clothes to the cleaners ahead of time are a good idea.
- Look at the employers that are attending and research the ones that you are interested in meeting. A current list of employers and their contact information can be found on JOBS for KATS.
What to Bring
- Copies of your resume.
- Come PROFESSIONALLY DRESSED.
- Pens and pencils.
- Folder or portfolio.
- Paper for note taking.
At the Career Fair
- Be confident. SMILE.
- Maintain good eye-contact, but don't stare.
- Have a FIRM handshake.
- Demonstrate knowledge of your chosen field.
- Your resume should be easily accessible - in a portfolio or folder, not a briefcase.
How to Present Yourself to the Recruiter
- Introduce yourself: "Hello. I'm Michael Adams. I am an alumni with a degree in finance."
- Express why you are interested in the organization.
- Briefly relate your background to the recruiter. Be specific. Give information about projects you have done or jobs you have held.
Career Fair Etiquette
- Don't interrupt the recruiters or your fellow job seekers.
- Make eye-contact with the representatives.
- Don't hesitate to approach a recruiter or to join a group already in discussion.
- Collect materials to look over later, use your time at the Career Fair to talk to the recruiters.
- If you are interested in a company, find out the procedures required to secure an interview.
- Don't just drop your resume on the recruiter's table, give it to him/her directly.
- Speak briefly with the recruiter - ask questions, demonstrate your interest.
- Get the recruiter's business card.
- Send a follow-up note and another resume to the recruiter.
Sample Questions to Ask Recruiters
- What qualities are you looking for in prospective employees?
- What do you feel are the future trends in this industry?
- Where do you see this company in 5 years? 10 years?
- Do you have plans for expansion?
- How would you describe the working environment within this company?
- Within 48 hours of the job fair, send a thank you email to the recruiter.
- Most companies that attend job fairs today still ask that canidates apply on line, be sure to do this and if they ask how you heard about the job on the application, list the recruiter that you spoke with.
- It is your responsibility to approach employers and initiate a conversation.
- You will get out of this event exactly what you put in to it.
- Be assertive and positive.