Bursar's Office

How to Apply your Financial Aid

The following information applies to students who have already been awarded financial aid or scholarships. If you need information on how to be considered for financial aid, visit http://www.shsu.edu/~fao_www/

  1. Verify you have been awarded aid through Financial Aid in Self Service Banner.
  2. If you have not been awarded aid, you must make a payment or apply for a semester/emergency loan by your due date.
  3. Aid will begin to apply 10 days before the official first class day.  Be sure aid applies or a payment is made by your due date.
  4. Any questions regarding aid disbursement should be directed to the Financial Aid Office (936) 294-1774.


Residual Refund Checks

All refunds except Parent Loan refunds are disbursed according to your selected method preference.  All Parent Loan Refund checks are mailed.  Parent Loan Refunds may not be picked up.  Do not travel from out of town to pick up a refund check.  If you are a new student and have not received an ID card, call 936-294-1083 to speak with the Bursar's Office.  If you have received an ID card, be sure that you have activated the card and selected a refund preference.  Please direct any questions regarding financial aid refunds to the Bursar's Office at 936-294-1083 or toll-free 1-866-BEARKAT (232-7528).

If you have not received your Bearkat OneCard contact the BearKat OneCard office at (936) 294-2273 or stop by their office in Estill Classroom Building on the second floor.