Faculty employed for the nine-month academic year are not guaranteed employment during the summer sessions because enrollment is generally much less than during the long semesters. Guidelines for selection of faculty for summer school teaching assignments are as follows:
- Paramount among all considerations should be the needs of a particular individual department or instructional program as expressed in terms of requirements for course offerings.
- Careful consideration should be given to how well the expertise of those faculty members who request summer employment matches the requirements of the department’s instructional program.
- To the fullest extent possible, summer teaching assignments should be given to tenured or tenure-track faculty of the department.
- Attention should be given to developing an equitable rotation system for selecting faculty members for summer employment provided that the system follows items 1, 2, and 3 above.
- In the interest of answering compliance, each dean is asked to remind the chairs of these guidelines and to monitor carefully the appointment of all summer teaching faculty.
The services of department chairs are generally required throughout the summer.