Accredited by the American Psychological Association
- provide a forum for graduate students in psychology at SHSU to interact socially and collaborate professionally
- promote unity in the SHSU psychology community
- All SHSU graduate students in psychology (master’s or doctoral level) are eligible.
- Dues = $10/year, by cash or check
- Perks include:
- Discount on 2013-2014 GSPO t-shirts
- Discount on 2014 GSPO pet calendars
- Access to special Members’ Only Raffle at GSPO Holiday Party
- Discount on GSPO Field Day registration (TBA Spring 2014)
- Unless otherwise specified, GSPO events are NOT open to non-SHSU students.
- Many GSPO events are held at SHSU’s Psychological Services Center (PSC).
- Directions to PSC: http://www.shsu.edu/~clinpsy/psc/PSC-Directions.htm
GSPO OFFICERS 2013-2014
- President: Amy Hamilton
- Vice-President: Brittany Bate
- Master’s Liaison: Mandy Williams
- Treasurer: Hsiao-Wen Wang
- Secretary: Jenna Tomei
- Faculty Advisor: Dr. Craig Henderson
- Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
- GSPO/Psi Chi/Undergraduate Psych Club Study Breaks
- Alternating weeknights at Lowman Student Center (LSC) throughout the academic year; be on the lookout for GSPO announcements
- Directions to LSC: http://www.shsu.edu/map/gmap_data/info.php?loc=19.
- Help undergraduate psych students with their studies and work on your own
- Great opportunity to mentor and be mentored
3rd annual GSPO Pet Calendar
- Please submit pet photos to firstname.lastname@example.org or a GSPO officer! Deadline extended to 10/18/13!
- Open to all Psychology graduate students and faculty.
- Limit of 2 photos per person, please.
- Each photo can contain multiple pets J
- Please include pet name(s)
- Calendar orders & advance fees will be collected in November.
- GSPO 2013-2014 t-shirt design contest: Please submit a design to the GSPO officers at email@example.com. Deadline extended to Friday, 10/18/13!
- GSPO Brown Bag Speaker Series kicks off with an informal Q&A at 12:30pm on Thursday, 10/24/13 at the Psychological Services Center (PSC).
- SHSU’s own Professor Marc Boccaccini, Associate Director of Clinical Training in the Psychology and Philosophy Department at SHSU, will answer YOUR questions. Ask him anything about his research or clinical experience!
- Dr. Boccaccini is renowned for his research on the allegiance effect in evaluations of “Sexually Violent Predators” (http://www.shsu.edu/pin_www/T%40S/sliders/2013/boccaccini.html).
- Please bring your own lunch. Coffee and donuts will be provided.
- This Brown Bag event is open to the SHSU community. Please spread the word!
- GSPO Halloween Movie Night: Wednesday, 7pm, 10/30/13, at the PSC (directions above).
- Pizza and beverages will be available; a small donation to GSPO will be requested.
- GSPO Battle of the Piney Woods (BOTPW) day, Saturday, 11/2/13, @ Reliant Stadium
- GSPO will be cheering on the SHSU Bearkats to victory over the SFA Lumberjacks alongside the Criminal Justice Graduate Student Organization (CJ GSO) members and CJ faculty!
- Tailgate 11:30am until game time in the Blue Lot
- Please bring a dessert and make a $5 donation, OR make a $10 donation
- SHSU-SFA football game tickets available at https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketHome.dbml?DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&DB_OEM_ID=19900&_MODE_=EVENTSELECT&SALE_TKT_EVENT_ID=389820
- The password will be “CJGSO2013”. The link below will take you directly to the ticket page and in the group sales promo code box you can type in the password.
- GSPO & CJ GSO Friendsgiving Festivities!
- Friendsgiving Dinner hosted by the Criminal Justice Graduate Student Organization (CJ GSO): Wednesday, 11/27/13, 1pm, in the Flag Room of the CJ Center
- Bring your own beverage
- Bring a dish to share with the group; sign up on the GSPO Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/519066031440472/#!/groups/519066031440472/) or email Amy Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The CJ Center is just 1 block from the PSC. Directions to the CJ Center: http://www.shsu.edu/academics/criminal-justice/about/map.html
- GSPO Friendsgiving Movie Evening: Wednesday, 11/27/13, 5pm, at the PSC (directions above).
- Snacks and beverages will be available; a small donation to GSPO will be requested J
- Feel free to suggest a psych, CJ, or holiday movie! Email Amy Hamilton at email@example.com
- GSPO Holiday Party, December 2013
- Date, location, details TBA
- GSPO Valentine Brown Bag at 12:00 noon on Thursday, 2/20/14 at the Psychological Services Center (PSC).
- SHSU’s own Rody Miller, Professor of Psychology and author of Intimate Relationships, will share his wisdom about social psychology and romance <3, or:
- "What You'll Wish You'd Known on Valentine's Day"
- Bring your own lunch, OR enjoy pizza, beverages, & sweet treats provided by GSPO!
- This special Brown Bag event is open to the SHSU community. Please spread the word!
- GSPO panel discussion at 5:30pm on Wednesday, March 26, 2014, at the Psychological Services Center (PSC):
- Private practitioners from the Sam Houston Area Psychological Association (SHAPA), Drs. Ron Massey, Rebecca Hamlin, & Angie Pellegrin, will discuss:
- “The Ins and Outs of Private Practice”
- PSC will provide pizza for the event! GSPO will provide beverages & treats.
- Please bring questions!
- GSPO/Psi Chi/Undergraduate Psych Club workshop: Applying to Grad School
- TBA Spring 2014
- Grad students: Share your grad school application experiences with current applicants!
- Undergrads: Bring your application materials and specific questions, and get feedback!
- GSPO Movie Night
- TBA Spring 2014 (after Spring Break)
- Please contact a GSPO officer or firstname.lastname@example.org with movie suggestions
- GSPO panel discussion: Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Predoctoral Internships But Were Afraid To Ask
- 3 - 5 p.m. on Friday, April 11, 2014, at the PSC
- Survivors of Match Day 2014 will share their internship application experiences, including
- Recommended timeline for the application process
- Pros and cons of various application strategies
- Information about specific internship sites
- Anecdotal information about actual interviews
- GSPO will provide refreshments and links to valuable internship info and materials
- Please bring questions!
- GSPO Great Outdoors Day
- TBA Spring 2014
- Step away from your TV, laptop, I-pad, smartphone, etc.!
- Enjoy a day of nature walks/hiking/running followed by cookout
- Huntsville State Park or similar venue
- GSPO MERCHANDISE
- GSPO “Psychopath” T-shirts, $10 (S, M, L) while supplies last
- GSPO 2014-2015 Pet Calendars $4 for members, $6 for non-members
- Covers the rest of this academic year and all of next academic year, Jan 2014 - May 2015
- Great as a gift!
- Contact any GSPO officer or email@example.com
12/06/13 GSPO Holiday Party at SHSU’s Criminal Justice Center!
9/13/13 GSPO Social at Huntsville State Park, with GSPO Raffle!
2011 Holiday Party