Academic Support Programs
Mentoring & Outreach Programs
- The mentors at the SAM Center provide support to enhance students' academic experience.
- Mentors are available daily during office hours, and students are welcome to walk in. We also post updates on Facebook and Twitter for your convenience!
- Flexibility and accessibility are important, so we make it a priority to use all of the tools available to us to communicate with all students, regardless of location.
- Not on campus? Not a problem! Click here to meet with an academic mentor online via Blackboard Collaborate. The program might take a few minutes to load if this is the first time you’ve used it, but SHSU Online (936-294-2780/toll-free 877-759-2232) can quickly resolve any issues you might have.
- IMPORTANT: Once you are “in,” call 936-294-4367 to alert our friendly front-desk staff that you are ready to connect with a mentor!
- Whatever your needs are, visit with a mentor today—you’ll be glad you did!
Frequent Questions a Mentor can Help You Answer
- How can I study more efficiently to improve my academic performance?
- If I didn't do so well on my first round of exams, what should I do?
- Should I drop or resign?
- How do I get off of probation/avoid suspension?
- How do I calculate my GPA?
You may reach the office of Academic Support Programs in the SAM Center using the following information:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 936-294-4367
- Online: Log in to Blackboard Collaborate then call the number above to be connected to a mentor (call 936-294-2780 for technical support)