An article in “The Texas Tribune” notes the improvement in graduation rates at Sam Houston State since the establishment of the Student Advising and Mentoring Center 10 years ago.
Important News & Updates!!
- Lone Star College Pathway to SHSU 2012-2014 Transfer Guides
- Lone Star College Pathway to SHSU 2014-2016 Transfer Guides
- Suspension/Reinstatement directions
- Important Forms for students now available
- 2012-2014 Catalog available ONLY ONLINE
- SENIORS - Mandatory Advisement Requirement
- SAM Center Earns National Recognition
- Academic Support Team available via Skype (Instructions)
- Updated 2014 Core Curriculum & Course Descriptions
The Mission of the Student Advising and Mentoring Center (SAM Center) at Sam Houston State University is to provide intrusive academic advising and mentoring to all students assisting them in discovering methods to set personal goals, establishing strategies to achieve their objectives, enhancing skills to sharpen academic accomplishments, and providing incentives for realizing educational success.
Who We Are
The Student Advising and Mentoring Center, also known as the SAM Center, offers a wide variety of services for the students of Sam Houston State University. We offer academic advisement and enrichment services to all undergraduate and graduate students. The SAM Center is a resource dedicated to helping students adjust to academic life at Sam Houston State University. Services available include academic mentoring, aid with time management, and study skills.
|Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education|
||Core Values of Academic Advising|
In brief, the Core Values of Academic Advising state that advisors are responsible to the individuals they advise; for involving others, when appropriate, in the advising process; to their institutions; to higher education; to their educational community; for their professional practices and for themselves personally. Further discussion can be found at this site: NACADA Core Values