How Do I Get Advised?
What Should I Have Ready for Advisement?
First and foremost, you need to know why you are getting advised:
- Is advisement mandatory? If unsure, click on the Do I Need Advising? link.
- Do you have general questions?
- Would you like academic assistance, but don't know where to go?
Next, you should look at your degree plan in Degree Works and make a tentative schedule for the next semester.
Finally, have your questions written down so you don't forget anything during your meetings.
Set An Appointment - Current Students
Most academic advisors, including those at the SAM Center, require their students to set an appointment.
To learn how, please click on the How To Set An Appointment? link.
If you already know how to set an appointment, click on the Campus Connect link.
If you aren't sure who your advisor/advising team is, click on the Who's My Advisor? link.
Set An Appointment - Prospective/New Students
If you are a new student and already have your Sam ID, then you can set your own appointment, see the Set An Appointment - Current Students section.
If you're a prospective student, please contact the SAM Center (936-294-4444; firstname.lastname@example.org and be sure to mention the following...
- Purpose of visit
- Contact information (phone & email)
- Days and times you are available (if emailing, list multiple options).
- Location of appointment (TWC or Huntsville).
If you are unsure of your status, please contact the Admissions Office.
What If I'm A Distance Student?
If you're a 100% online student, then please email the SAM Center (email@example.com)
- Specifically mention that you are a 100% online student in the email.
- We will then forward your email to the appropriate advisor and he/she will reach out to you via your SHSU email with answers to your questions and your academic advisement.
If you have even one (1) class on campus, then you MUST set an appointment to meet with your academic advisor in person.
The Woodlands Center
There are advisors at TWC. Select your major on the Who's My Advisor? page to see availabilities.
View our calendar to see upcoming events that may impact you and your course selections!