Study in the United States at a Top University in Texas
Sam Houston State University is a vibrant, diverse university that welcomes students from all over the United States-and the world. The Office of International Programs is available to answer questions and help you complete your application for admission to the university.
Applying to a master's degree program? See requirements and admission procedures for international graduate students >>
Bachelor's Degree Admission Requirements for International Applicants
Went to high school in the US or another country?
Attended college elsewhere?
Apply to a Bachelor's Degree Program as an International Student
1. Submit the ApplyTexas.org Application (International) [what's this?] and pay the nonrefundable application fee of $75 in U.S. currency via MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card, money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank. (SHSU does not accept the VISA credit card).
- If transcripts are from a school outside of the U.S. the document must be translated and evaluated by an accredited company.
3. Submit a TOEFL score of at least 550 paper-based or 79 iBt or 6.5 IELTS or successful completion of the English Language Institute (ELI) program at SHSU. An individual college within the University may establish a higher TOEFL score for admission to a particular program.
- If a student's first language is English, a TOEFL score may not be required; however an ACT or SAT score will be required for undergraduate students.
4. If applicable, contact the testing agency to request an electronic submission of your SAT or ACT test score be sent to SHSU.
- Send SAT scores to school code 6643 for SHSU.
- Send ACT scores to school code 4162 for SHSU.
Master's Degree Admission Requirements for International Applicants
Admission requirements vary by program so consult the master's degree program webpage for your chosen program.
Please submit the following to the Office of International Programs, Attn: Justin Ball.
1. Submit the ApplyTexas.org Application (International)[what's this?] and pay the nonrefundable application fee of $75 in U.S. currency via MasterCard, American Express, Discover Card, money order or check drawn on a U.S. bank. (SHSU does not accept the VISA credit card).
2. Submit official transcripts from all college coursework.
3. If applying for assistantship, please submit the official credentials evaluation.
4. Submit a TOEFL score of at least 550 paper-based or 79 iBt or 6.5 IELTS. An individual college within the University may establish a higher TOEFL score for admission to a particular program. Some programs may accept successful completion of the ELI program in place of the TOEFL. For more information about this option, please contact the Office of International Programs.
5. Refer to your specific master's program webpage for other admission requirements.
See the checklists below for detailed information on how to enroll at Sam Houston State University after you've been accepted.
International student applications should be completed and received no later than 90 days before the beginning of the initial semester of enrollment if applying from outside of the United States.
In addition to undergraduate and graduate degree programs, the English Language Institute (ELI) provides necessary English language proficiency training, academic skills, and cultural awareness for international students to be admitted into undergraduate or graduate studies at Sam Houston State University or other colleges and universities.