April 5, 2014
Design Room/UTC 135
Auditions by appointment only
contact Eric Marsh,email@example.com,
ScholarX Scholarship: If you are interested in Sam Houston's scholarships apply by using the ScholarX web site; ScholarX Scholarship Application.
Requirements: (For Incoming Theatre Freshman and Transfer Theatre Majors)
All documents should be placed in a pocketed portfolio folder with your typed name and e-mail address on the cover.
ACTING EMPHASIS; Bring two contrasting monologues, totaling no more than three minutes, head shot, resume', and two letters of recommendation one from a theatre teacher and one from another teacher or director.
DESIGN and/or TECHINAL EMPHASIS; Bring your design or technical portfolio with examples of your work and skills in drawing, drafting, sewing, lighting, scene construction, or design. Prompt books are welcome for stage managers. In addition, bring a head shot, resume', and two letters of recommendation one from a theatre teacher and one from another teacher or director.
MUSICAL THEATRE SCHOLARSHIPS: Musical Theatre Auditions can serve as scholarship auditions also with two letters of recommendation , a head shot, and resume'. All current SHSU students must have a current printed copy of their Degree Works.
Department of Theatre Scholarships
- WILLIAM F. BROWN AWARD: $2500 for year; awarded by Theatre faculty to a Theatre or Musical Theatre major, demonstrating financial need, maintaining an overall GPA of 3.0.
- MARGARET A. CONWELL MEMORIAL MUSICAL THEATRE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate majoring in Musical Theatre. Financial need is a consideration, but not a determining factor; GPA 3.0; Application deadline, April 1st.
- KEVIN J. DODSON THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP: $2000 per year; $1000 a semester, awarded to upper level Theatre majors with an emphasis in directing. Application to theatre faculty, based on talent, grades, and citizenship.
- RUTH WYNN THOMASON HOLLINSHEAD ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP IN THEATER: Amount varies. Recipient must be a student in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University majoring in Theatre and demonstrate financial need. Special consideration will be given to students with an interest in costume design. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is April 1st.
- HUMPHREYS FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIPS: $1000 per year; $500 per semester, for incoming transfer and freshmen Theatre and Musical students. Students apply by audition, letters of recommendation, and interviews.
- JIM AND JULEE MILLER THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP FUND: $1,000 per year; Recipients must be full-time students, sophomore, junior, senior, majoring in theatre. Financial need is a consideration, but not a determining factor; GPA 3.0; Application deadline, April 1st.
- NICHOLSON-BOZEMAN SCHOLARSHIPS IN MUSICAL THEATRE: $1000 per semester, to continuing Musical Theatre students. Applications must be made to Theatre faculty. Awards are based on talent, grades and need.
- ERICA STARR "LIVE YOUR DREAM" MEMORIAL THEATRE ENDOWMENT SCHOLARSHIP: $3,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate in good standing and majoring in musical theatre, if in any one year there are no qualified musical theatre major applicants, then students majoring in theatre and showing an interest in the technical side of theatre (lighting, costumes, scenery, etc.) will be considered; demonstrate financial need. Application deadline is April 1st.
- ERICA STARR MEMORIAL THEATER ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $3,000 per year. Recipient must be a student in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University majoring in theater and showing an interest in the technical side of theatre, (lighting, costumes, scenery), and demonstrate some financial need.
- CHARLES A. SCHMIDT MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: $500 per year, given to a continuing Theatre major who maintains a 3.0 GPA, demonstrates good citizenship and financial need.
- BILL & ANN STOKES SCHOLARSHIP: Amount of scholarship varies per year; Recipients must be full-time sophomore, junior or senior students, majoring in Theatre and Musical Theatre, demonstrate financial need, and be a student in good standing in the theatre department. 3.0 GPA; Application deadline March 15th.
- SCHOLARSHIPS FOR DRAMA MAJORS: Available through the Theatre Program and Alpha Psi Omega. Number and amount of scholarships fluctuate. Theatre Program awards are based on grades, talent and need. Alpha Psi Omega awards are based on talent, participation in the department, citizenship, and need.
- SHSU DANCE AND THEATRE ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIP: $1,500 per year. Recipients must be full-time students in good standing enrolled at Sam Houston State University, majoring in dance or theatre, be interviewed by the selection committee to discuss his or her educational goals, and demonstrate financial need. GPA requirement is 3.0. Application deadline is April 1st.
- THELMA JEAN BARNES TOWNLEY SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be an outstanding full-time undergraduate or graduate student in good standing, majoring in any program within the Department of Theatre and Dance; demonstrate he/she holds the values and character traits of the honoree, Mrs. Townley, integrity, character, and strong values, and has an ability to achieve their full potential in theatre or dance. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is April 15th.
- SOFIA VICTORIA MENDEZ PERFORMING ARTS SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 per year. Recipient must be a full-time undergraduate student in good standing, majoring in any discipline within the performing arts; demonstrate financial need; and demonstrate a high level of skill in their major. GPA of 3.00 is required. Application deadline is February 1st.
- KATHERINE AND GLENN PAYN THEATRE SCHOLARSHIP: $1,000 minimum, to a full-time undergraduate student in good standing; majoring in Theatre, not to include Musical Theatre; have a strong interest in non-musical acting and directing; Financial Aid will be considered but not a determining factor.
For further information contact Eric Marsh 936.294.1331
Department of Theatre & Musical Theatre
Box 2297, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX 77341-2297
Phone: (936) 294-1329 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org