For specific information on the Dissertation Process, please review Dissertation from the Handbook.
Direction on dissertation preparation, submission of final copies and deadlines can be found through the following sites:
- Newton Gresham Library: Thesis & Dissertation Guidelines & Tools
- Office of Graduate Studies: An on-line Dissertation Route Sheet
Dissertation Process Checklist
Student selects a topic and assembles a disseration committee.
- Complete Appointment of Dissertation Committee Form. Obtain signatures from Graduate Advisor (DCT), Department Chair and the Dean’s Office, prior to proposing your dissertation. The Dean’s Office will keep the completed/signed form.
If a committee member will be someone outside of Sam Houston State University, please make sure to complete the Non SHSU Employee on Thesis/Dissertation Committee Request form, obtain signatures, attach non-SHSU committee member’s CV, and submit for approval to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Graduate Studies will forward the approved form to the Clinical Psychology Doctoral Program (form will remain in student file).
Pass comprehensive exams or MAP.
(This needs to be completed by the deadline on the CHSS webpage. Some students might complete the comprehensive exams after the proposal defense.) The Programs' Administrative Associate will send the Report of Comprehensive Examination form to the Dean's office.
Submit draft of proposal to dissertation committee.
- Reserve room by contacting Breanna Barnes (for PSC) 936-294-1210 or email or Rhonda Reddoch (for CHSS conference room) at 936-294-3552 or email.
- Defend Proposal. On the day of proposal, have the Proposal/Prospectus Defense Form prepared for signatures. Secure signatures from Dissertation Chair(s) and Committee, Graduate Advisor (DCT), Department Chair, and send to the Dean’s Office along with Prospectus (prospectus is a more in depth version of abstract). The Dean’s Office will forward the form to the Registrar’s Office.
Submit IRB application (human subject approval). You must have IRB approval before collection data.
Work with Dissertation Chair on dissertation.
- Submit draft to dissertation committee.
Check the Graduate Studies website for specific timeline dates.
Submit draft to Library for approval of basic style and format (6 weeks prior to graduation).
Reserve room by contacting Sonya Miller (for PSC) 936-294-1210 or email or Rhonda Reddoch (for CHSS conference room) at 936-294-3552 or email.
Defend dissertation. On the day of dissertation defense, have the following forms prepared for signatures: Dissertation Defense Form, Approval Page (on bonded paper) and Route Sheet. Secure signatures from Dissertation Chair(s) and Committee, Graduate Advisor (DCT) and Department Chair. Bring signed forms along with a copy of your abstract to the Dean’s Office for signature. The Dean’s Office will send the Dissertation Defense Form to the Registrar’s Office and will contact you to pick up the Approval Page and Route Sheet.
Submit approved draft to Thesis Clerk in the Library (with changes, if any, from defense). Make changes as requested by the Library.
Once final approval has been received by the Library, copies should be made (preferably by Sam Houston Press & Copy Center). Take final copy (on bonded paper), approval sheet (on bonded paper), extra abstract (on bonded paper) and Route Sheet to the Library for signature.
Take Route Sheet to Graduate Studies Office.
Graduate Studies will hand-deliver Route Sheet to the Registrar’s Office.
*Note: Please make sure Program's Administrative Associate receives a copy of each signed form.