Frequently Asked Questions

cohort acting silly

What is the step-by-step process for applying to the Nursing program?

Please refer to the Nursing Application page.

How often does SHSU admit BSN students?

Students will be admitted to the undergraduate program during the Spring and Fall semesters.

What is the application deadline for the undergraduate nursing program?

The Nursing Program will be accepting completed applications from August 13, 2014, through October 12, 2014, until 5:00 p.m. for the Spring 2015 cohort. All documents must be received in the Nursing Program office by this date.

Incomplete files will not be considered for application to the Nursing Program.

What is the minimum GPA needed to be considered for admission to the nursing program?

A GPA of 3.0 on the required pre-requisite courses is also necessary for consideration. Admission to the nursing program is competitive and the cutoff GPA will vary each semester based on the applicant pool.

Is the GPA the only requirement for admission to upper division nursing?

No, admission to upper division nursing courses is based on consideration of multiple criteria. These criteria include the following: your GPA for nursing prerequisite coursework; admission assessment TEAS V (Test of Essential Academic Skills) test scores, and completion of the required program prerequisites.

Is there a separate application to nursing?

Yes, the application to the Nursing Program is a separate application from application to SHSU. The application to the Nursing Program will not be considered if the university's application has not been filed. If you are currently enrolled at another college or university or have completed previous college coursework, please submit all official transcripts to SHSU at the time of application to the University.

Where can I take the entrance examination?

The Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) V pre-nursing entrance exam is offered at SHSU and registration information can be found at: (NOTE: the TEAS V is required, NOT the TEAS IV). You can take the TEAS V only once during the application process. If you take the TEAS V more than once, the Nursing Program will consider the first score on file.

You may also take the TEAS V at another testing center and have your scores sent directly to SHSU's Nursing Department.

When will I find out if I have been accepted to the Nursing Program?

Acceptance letters will be sent out by U. S. mail about 3 weeks after the application deadline. We do not notify applicants of acceptance/denial by electronic mail.

class of December 2011

If I am not accepted, can I re-apply?

Yes, but applications are not transferable to the next admission period. You must resubmit  complete applications for acceptance to both SHSU and the Nursing Department if you wish to be considered for admission at a later date.  However, if you continue enrollment at SHSU, you will not need to re-apply to the university. Documentation of additional coursework that has been completed must also be updated when re-application is made.

Are dormitories available at SHSU?

Yes, there are dormitories available on the campus. Contact for further information.

Will I be required to get immunizations?

Nursing students must comply with the Texas Health Services Immunization requirements for students enrolled in clinical courses in institutions of higher education. Information about specific immunizations is available.

Will I be required to have liability insurance?

BSN students are supplied with liability insurance by SHSU.

Will I be required to have healthcare insurance?

Yes, you must show proof of personal healthcare insurance at the beginning of each semester. Many of our clinical agencies require proof of personal healthcare insurance. SHSU offers a student health insurance plan.

Will I be required to complete criminal background screening?

Yes, students are required to complete criminal background screening after admission to the program. A criminal background check will be done on every applicant who is accepted into the Nursing Program. Instructions for the criminal background check will be included in the letter of acceptance into the program. You will also be asked to complete fingerprint scanning as part of the criminal background check, after you are accepted into the program.

Will I be required to take a drug test?

Yes, students are required to comply with drug testing as part of their continued enrollment in our program. Students are also subject to random drug testing in SHSU's Nursing Program and while at most clinical agencies.

Can I enter the program lacking any prerequisite courses?

No, all prerequisite Arts & Sciences courses must be completed by program entry with a grade of “C” or better in every required pre-requisite course.

What are the core curriculum requirements?

The prerequisites are required by the University in fulfillment of the Texas Core Curriculum or as a requirement of the Field of Curriculum Study for Nursing (FOCSN). Students must complete: Pre-nursing and non-nursing prerequisite requirements (59 hours). See the BSN Curriculum Plan.

Is there a time limit for prerequisite courses?

Yes. Nursing courses and science courses (biology, chemistry, and math) will not be accepted for credit if they are 5 years or older.


Nursing courses and science courses (including biology, chemistry, and math) that were taken 5 years ago or more CANNOT be accepted for credit.

Can I take courses at another college or university and then transfer to the SHSU Nursing Department?

Yes, you can take the prerequisite courses at an accredited college or university. The official transcripts will be evaluated by the Undergraduate Admissions Office for equivalency to the prerequisite courses required for admission to the SHSU Nursing Program. Official transcripts must be sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office for evaluation before the application deadline. Course work from other nursing programs cannot be accepted for transfer credit at this time.

Send in your official transcripts and apply to SHSU so that your courses can be evaluated for transfer credit.

How do I know if my courses transferred?

SHSU will evaluate your transcript based on a degree audit completed by the Office of Admissions when the student applies to the University. If a student is not currently enrolled in a required course, the student will be notified of the deficiency by U. S. mail.  Please note that Developmental Psychology (PSYC 3374) cannot be taken at a junior or community college. Likewise, students are advised to take Nutrition (FACS 2362) at SHSU.

Does a "D" transfer in to SHSU?

A grade of "D" transfers as credit; however, you will need to retake the course prior to application into the upper division Nursing Program. You must receive a grade of "C" or higher.

Are letters of recommendation required for acceptance into the upper division nursing major?

SHSU Nursing Department does require references.

When will I begin nursing clinical courses?

Students will enroll in clinical courses during the first semester in the nursing program. A clinical course is part of the Nursing curriculum every semester. Nursing students must successfully pass clinical courses along with co-requisite theory classes in order to progress through the program.

Will I need transportation while in the Nursing Program?

Yes, you will need reliable transportation to class and to clinical sites. The faculty will try to accommodate students' carpool needs.

Can I attend part time in the program?

No, the Nursing Program at SHSU is for full time study only; however, this may change in the future.

What type of CPR certification is needed for the Nursing Program, where can we get certified, and when do we have to obtain the certification?

The Basic Life Support (BLS) Health Care Provider Course covering the adult, infant, child, and two-man CPR (two-year Hospital Level Provider coverage) is required. All new BSN students must complete BLS classes prior to enrollment. A copy of your BLS card must be presented by the first day of class. Classes must be taken through the American Heart Association. Here are some instructions for finding a course near you.


  • Basic Life Support (BLS) Health Care Provider Course (2-yr Hospital Level Provider coverage) is required.
  • All new BSN students must complete BLS classes prior to enrollment.
  • A copy of your BLS card must be presented by the first day of class.
  • Classes must be taken through the American Heart Association.

How do I find out if my application materials have been received?

After your SHSU application has been processed you will receive a letter from Undergraduate Admissions, which will give you the information required to check the status of your application and any transfer credits. This can take up to 10 working days. Please keep in mind that your acceptance will remain "Pending" until Undergraduate Admissions receives a decision from the program letting them know whether or not you have been accepted or denied admission. To check on the status of your Nursing application, call (936) 294-2371.

Is financial aid available for nursing students?

Yes, financial aid is available for nursing students. For more information about financial aid, please go to the web page:

How do I apply for financial aid?

You can complete a financial aid application online at You should complete the most current FAFSA. For more information on financial aid, please call 936-294-1774.

Are scholarships available for SHSU Nursing program students?

Yes. SHSU offers scholarships to students in the nursing program. They are competitive scholarships and are based on how well the student performs in the nursing program. Assistance is also available through Financial Aid, including scholarships, loans, and grants outside of SHSU. Information on University scholarships may be obtained from the Office of Academic Scholarships website at or email: You must complete the 2015-2016 FAFSA to be considered for Nursing scholarships.

Do students take an exit exam in order to graduate?

No, not at this time. However, students must pass the ATI standardized tests administered throughout the Nursing program. The test administered during the last semester of the program is designed to prepare the student to sit for the NCLEX-RN. That test is a requirement for a last semester course; it is not an exit exam.

Do I have to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?

For more information, see the following link:

International students must have the appropriate visa to be admitted to SHSU, and then to the Nursing program.

Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor