Welcome to the School of Nursing at Sam Houston State University.
We are an accredited School of Nursing with an enthusiastic approach to shaping the minds of tomorrow's top nursing professionals.
Read about the establishment of the School of Nursing and how we hope to shape the future of the industry.
History and Horizons
- November 2008 - The Texas State University Board of Regents of Sam Houston State University (SHSU) approved a new Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program.
- October 2010 - The Nursing program received initial approval from the Texas Board of Nursing.
- Fall 2012 - The Board of Regents authorized the Nursing program to become an official Department of Nursing in the College of Sciences.
- August 2013 - The Department of Nursing became an accredited nursing program by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN formerly NLNAC).
- September 2013 - the Board of Regents authorized the Department of Nursing to become an official School of Nursing in the College of Health Sciences.
- December 2013 – Exploratory trip to three nursing schools in Thailand for partnerships.
- May 2014 – Offer first study-abroad program in Costa Rica in partnership with UNIBE (Universidad de Iberoamérica).
- Proposed new programs coming soon!
- RN to BSN
- LVN to BSN
- Texas Board of Nursing grants SHSU SON Full Approval.
The baccalaureate nursing program at Sam Houston State University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
More information on public disclosures can be found at www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation/standards-procedures-resources/baccalaureat-graduate.
SHSU Nursing Program Receives Full Approval by BON
On January 30, 2014, the SHSU Nursing Program received “full approval” by the Texas Board of Nursing. The program had been in the "initial approval" process, but the Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Education Program is now fully approved.
SHSU Nursing Program Receives ACEN Accreditation
On August 8, 2013, the SHSU Nursing Program received approval from the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN, formerly NLNAC) as an accredited “Baccalaureate nursing program.” This accreditation is retroactive to January 1, 2013, which means that all graduates from the program are included.
Dr. Anne Stiles, School of Nursing Director, thanks the SHSU community for the massive amount of support given to the SHSU Nursing Program over the past year, and for their continued commitment to helping the program reach this important milestone.
The ACEN may be reached through the information below:
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Phone: (404) 975-5000
SHSU Nursing Program Receives CCNE Seal of Accreditation
The baccalaureate program at Sam Houston State University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation).
SHSU School of Nursing, Academic Bld III, Room 111
PO Box 2396, Huntsville, TX 77341
Phone: (936) 294-2371 Fax: (936) 294-2372