Joan Prouty Conference on Early Literacy: Now Taking Registrations!
The Motto of Sam Houston State University is "A Measure of a Life is its Service" and we encouarge our students to get involved with the community, improving the lives of those around them.
Master's in Reading
- Offers clinical reading assistance to local students
- Provides workshops for teachers
- Provides workshops for parents
- Develops school literacy programs
- Serves as district literacy coaching models
- Provides tutoring for struggling readers
- Provides tutoring for elementary school students in after-school programs
- Creates and monitors learning centers in elementary classrooms
- Provides tutoring for senior citizens in computer technology
- Students volunteer at local non-profit organizations (i.e., Habitat for Humanity, United Way, Boys & Girls Club)
- Read to preschoolers at Gibbs Pre-K Center
- Provided each child with 2 books to take home. Books were available in English and Spanish
The department of Language, Literacy, and Special Populations sponsors and administers grants and special programs designed to support our mission.
- Texas School Ready! (TSR!) - a statewide project supporting quality experiences for at-risk preschool-age children.
Involvement in student organizations will give you the opportunity to make an impact and leave your mark at SHSU. Through the years, student leaders have learned about leadership, community service and civic engagement, as well as interpersonal skills through participation in student organizations.
- Kappa Delta Pi (KDP)
- Sam Houston Association for the Education of Young Children (SHAEYC)
- Sam Houston Council for Exceptional Children (SCEC)
- Texas State Teachers Association-Student Association (TSTA-SP)
- Bilingual Education Student Organization (BESO)