The Eighth Annual URS
April 25, 2015
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Oral-Media Presenter Guidelines:
- Time allotment: you will have 15-20 minutes to do your presentation. If your presentation is shorter than 15 minutes or longer than 20, consult with your advisor on how to expand or reduce it to fit the time parameters.
- Practice your presentation beforehand: modify it (add or subtract portions) to meet the time limits if necessary.
- Session format: a student presider will introduce each presenter, announce the question-and-answer session, and keep track of time. If you go over 20 minutes, you will be asked to conclude your presentation immediately (this time restriction is enforced so everyone is allowed equal time to present and so there is time for the question-and-answer session). Each session also has a moderator, a faculty member volunteer who will offer written feedback on how you can improve your presentation. It will be an informal assessment that is constructive and helpful. You will get the form at the end of the session.
- Set up your presentation materials (hook up laptop, set up video presentation) in a timely and efficient manner.
- Supplies: the following equipment will be provided: PC, projector and screen, podium. For those doing PowerPoint or video presentations, ensure before the conference that your visuals work. Be sure to put your presentations on a flashdrive that will work with a PC.
- Have a back-up plan if technology fails: Have a low-tech back-up plan in the event that technology fails: you should be able to talk about your presentation without visuals or provide handouts.
Poster Presenter Guidelines:
- Posters: Standard poster sizes are 4’ w x 3’ h. Tech services in the library will print posters. Go to http://library.shsu.edu/services/techshop.html for more information (NOTE: plan to submit your poster to be printed 2 weeks prior to the URS, regardless of what the website says). Also note that there is a fee for poster printing: the URS, unfortunately, cannot help with costs, but check with your advisor or department: they may be able to find money to help cover costs.
- Moderators: each poster will be evaluated by a moderator, a faculty member who has generously offered to evaluate your presentation and give feedback on what you are doing effectively and what you can improve upon. It is an informal assessment and is intended to be constructive and helpful. The moderators will give you a form at the end of the poster session.
- Remain at your poster during the entire poster session: your posters will be on display for the duration of the conference, but you are free to attend the sessions throughout the day.
- Come a few minutes early: poster viewing begins when registration opens, and you should not be putting up your poster while people are looking at them.
- Supplies: we will provide pushpins and standard-sized poster boards (4’w x 3’ h).
- Poster Pick-Up: You may get your posters after the closing ceremony. DO NOT pack up after the poster session is over. Again, it reflects poorly on you as a professional.
The URS is supported by the faculty and staff of the Elliott T. Bowers Honors College.
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77341-2479