Fall 2014 Admission Cycle opens February 1 - June 30.
- Applicant to the Nursing Program must apply and be accepted by SHSU before making application to the SHSU Nursing Program.
- Complete the SHSU Nursing Program Application after being accepted to SHSU.
- A score on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS-V) Bachelor of Science Nursing Program Admission test is required and may be completed on the SHSU campus where the resulting scores will be automatically forwarded to the Nursing Program. If the TEAS-V is not completed on the SHSU campus, the applicant must have their scores sent electronically by ATI to the SHSU Nursing Program.
Admission criteria for the Nursing Program:
- Complete ≥ 46 credit hours with a GPA ≥ 3.0 [to include BIOL 2401, BIOL 2402, BIOL 2420, CHEM 1406, MATH 1314, and MATH 1369] of the pre-nursing curriculum prior to application to the Nursing Program.
- Have ≥ 3.0 GPA in the 31 credit hours of Nursing Program prerequisites; have ≥ 3.0 GPA in the 59 credit hours of the pre-nursing curriculum. No grade less than ‘C’ will be accepted.
- TEAS-V score must be ≥ 64. Have an official copy of your TEAS-V score sent by ATI directly to the Medical & Allied Health Program (see above).
- Nursing applicant advisement by the Medical & Allied Health Program is recommended but not required.
- SHSU applicants who have completed at least 36 credit hours of the pre-nursing curriculum at SHSU will receive admission preference.
- Students with a second Bachelor’s Degree and have completed 16 hours of the pre-nursing curriculum at SHSU will receive admission preference.
- Applicants must submit the completed SHSU Nursing Program Application no later than 5:00 pm on the last day of the application period.
IMPORTANT: Background checks, drug screening, and proof of immunization are required following initial acceptance into the program.
As for background checks, applicants should be aware that:
- The Texas Board of Nursing will review background checks to determine a student's eligibility to sit for the license exam.
- Admission and completion of the program does not guarantee employment. Criminal history can have a significant impact on future employability.
- SHSU does not control the individual requirements of hospital systems for clinical rotations and employment and that such requirements might directly impact an applicantâ€™s ability to complete their clinical education, obtain future employment, or obtain appropriate licensure.