The Woodlands Center (TWC), which opened in Summer 2012, is a state-of-the-art classroom and office building located on Needham Road (Route 242), The Woodlands. The Department of English offers both graduate and upper-division undergraduate courses at this facility. TWC serves especially graduate students who live in The Woodlands-North Houston area, so it is ideal for teachers employed in Harris and Montgomery Counties.
A graduate student should be able to complete the MA degree at TWC. But there are a couple of qualifications: (1) Because faculty resources allow us to offer only two or three classes every semester at TWC, students who take classes exclusively at this facility should expect a longer time to earn the degree. (2) Graduate assistants must still take ENGL 5367 (Practicum in Teaching College Composition), and assistants and interns still perform assigned duties on the Huntsville campus.
SOME SUGGESTIONS FOR THOSE WHO USE THE WOODLANDS CENTER:
1. Be flexible. Keep open the possibility of a course on campus every once in a while.
2. Be willing to travel to use physical resources beyond TWC: the Newton Gresham Library (NGL) and other area university libraries. Apply for a TexShare card, which gives you library privileges in most other state-supported institutions. See the NGL web site for further information.
3. Make use of special library distance learning services that are available to you as a student taking classes at TWC. The NGL Interlibrary Loan service is superb; see the NGL web site for further information.
4. Make use of the expertise of Tyler Manolovitz, Information Resource Specialist at TWC. Because Mr. Manolovitz has been a graduate student in English, he understands your particular information needs better than most resource specialists. You may e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Be willing to travel to campus occasionally to use human resources.