English Dual Credit Teaching


 To teach college-level dual credit classes in the State of Texas, high school teachers must hold a graduate degree (Master's or PhD) and have eighteen graduate hours (six courses) in the teaching field.  

Beginning in Summer 2016, the Department of English at Sam Houston State University will offer online classes to teachers of high school English who have graduate degrees in other fields and would like to be qualified to teach dual credit English as well; the program will also certify instructors to teach English in two-year institutions in the State of Texas.

For official information about requirements for dual credit qualification, see the Texas Education Agency's Dual Credit Frequently Asked Questions.

Benefits of Our Program:
Through our dual credit qualification classes, teachers can

•work with graduate specialists in literature, rhetoric, and technical and professional writing;
•earn the required eighteen hours of graduate English credit in a single year; and
complete their coursework completely on line, from the convenience of their homes or offices.
Schedule of Classes for Cohort I, Beginning Summer 2016:
Students in our first dual credit cohort will complete the following courses in sequence:

First Summer Session 2016 (May 31-June 28): ENGL 6330 (Special Topics: Studies in British Literature)

Second Summer Session 2016 (July 6-August 4): ENGL 5335 (Workshop in the Teaching of Writing)

Fall Semester 2016 (August 24-December 8): ENGL 5370 (Studies in Multicultural Literature)

Spring Semester 2017 (January 18-May 11): ENGL 5384 (Studies in Rhetoric and Composition Theory)

First Summer Session 2017 (May 31-June 28): ENGL 6330 (Special Topics: Studies in American Literature)

Second Summer Session 2017 (July 6-August 3): ENGL 5390 (Studies in Technical and Professional Writing)
Application Process:
Students applying to take dual credit qualification courses in English at Sam Houston State University submit the following materials:

“Apply Texas” Common Application, designating application for non-degree-seeking post-baccalaureate admission. Be sure to indicate that you are seeking admission to take graduate courses at the University.

The graduate application fee ($45.00)

Transcripts for all college-level work, one of which shows conferral of a graduate degree (Master's or PhD) from an accredited institution
Application Deadline:
To join the first cohort, beginning Summer 2016, submit all materials no later than May 20, 2016, to the following address:

English Graduate Program
Graduate Admissions Office
Sam Houston State University
Box 2478
Huntsville TX  77341-2478
Application for MA or MFA Degree Program:
Students who are accepted into English dual credit qualification courses and later wish to apply to the MA or MFA program in English in full standing must submit application materials required of all MA or MFA students, including a new graduate application, standardized test score report, three letters of recommendation, and a writing sample.

For more information about applying to the English MA or MFA program at SHSU, see "Admission," on our graduate web site.

Students may apply up to nine hours of graduate English credit earned in their dual credit coursework to the MA or MFA program, so if you plan to pursue an English graduate degree at Sam Houston State University, be sure to apply by the end of your third graduate English course.

Please keep in mind also that while the the dual credit classes will be offered on line, most classes in our regular degree programs are offered face-to-face, either on the Huntsville campus or at The Woodlands Center.

The Department of English requires that a student complete a graduate degree within six years of the term of matriculation. If you do decide to apply for the MA or MFA program in full standing, you will have six years to complete the degree from your first term of enrollment in dual credit qualification courses.

For Further Information:
Contact Dr. Paul Child, Director of Graduate Studies in English
E-mail address: pchild@shsu.edu 
Office phone: 936-294-1412
Home phone: 281-298-1992



Sam Houston State Logo

Sam Houston State University | Huntsville, Texas 77341 | (936) 294-1111 | (866)BEARKAT Member TSUS
© Copyright Sam Houston State University | All rights reserved. | Contact Web Editor