Attention Graduate Student Research Assistants
In order to be placed on SHSU payroll to receive your assistantship funding, please complete the online State of Texas application and the additional forms listed below. Please bring all forms to Doris Pratt, Graduate Coordinator for the College of Criminal Justice, Room A212. You may contact her at 936-294-3637 if you have any questions.
- Criminal Background Check will be performed for all graduate assistants in accordance with Human Resources Policy ER-9 for those persons selected to fill a security sensitive position. Once your application and other materials are received by the Graduate Coordinator, Doris Pratt, she will initiate the process to begin the Criminal Background Check. Sam Houston State University has partnered with HireRight, a leading provider of on-demand employment screening solutions, to manage your background verification.
- Social Security Card - Graduate assistants MUST provide a valid social security card to verify that the employee's name and social security number are correct for payroll purposes. The social security card must be signed. If social security card is not available, please locate the nearest Social Security office to obtain a Social Security Administration application receipt to provide in person.
- Valid Driver's License - Graduate assistants must provide a valid Driver's License.
- Form W-4 is complete. Original form and signature is required on this document. (Revision 2013)
- The State of Texas Application for Employment is complete.
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification is complete (sections 1 & 2). Supporting documentation (one document from list A or one document from list B plus one document from list C) should be attached to this form. (Form revised 03/08/2013)
- Employee Statistical Data Sheet is complete. (Revision 05/2013)
- Release of Personal Information Election Information Please read this information and change your settings if desired. (Form 10/2012)
- Employee Notification of State and Federal Legislation and Human Resources Information Acknowledgement Form is complete (first page only). (Form revised 05/2013)
- Mandatory Workers' Compensation HCN Acknowledgment Form is complete. (Revision 05/2013)
- U.S. Selective Service Registration has been verified in accordance with HB558 (effective September 1, 1999). A male applicant, age 18 to 25, must present proof of registration at the time of the job offer. If the applicant has not registered, he can register at any U.S. Post Office, by completing and mailing the registration form, and obtaining a Certification of Mailing as proof of the registration; or online at: https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfVerification.aspx.
- Bearkat OneCard - Student MUST activate their student ID card in order to be paid.
- If employee is benefit eligible (50%) you will need to attend the Human Resources Graduate Student Employee Orientation or contact the Human Resources Specialist for Graduate Employees at (936) 294-1071
- Graduate Student Insurance Information:
Please clink on the link below:
- International Students: please bring a current I-20, Visa, I-94, Passport, Social Security Card, and Substantial Presence Test. Employees must contact the Tax Specialist in the Payroll Office (ext. 4-1094) to complete necessary tax documents.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA), if accommodations are needed to complete the application process, please contact Human Resources at Employment@SHSU.edu or phone 936-294-1070.
Sam Houston State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Plan Employer and Smoke/Drug-Free Workplace. Sam Houston State University is an "at will" employer. All positions at SHSU are considered security sensitive requiring background checks in accordance with Education Code 51.215