Steps to Admission
STEP 1: Prospective students must first be admitted to Sam Houston State University.
STEP 2: Prospective students then must apply for admission into the PGA Golf Management Program.
Upon acceptance to SHSU, please notify the PGA Golf Management staff. Admittance to the program is on a competitive basis; please apply as early as possible. Please review the requirements below.
PGA Golf Management Admission Information
Important Information for Transfer Students
Transfer students will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Regardless of how many hours that you transfer into SHSU, the program will take four and a half years to complete. Approximately 30 hours of completed credit is the maximum to enter into the program. Once a student is over this threshold it would be faster for them to become a PGA Member through the traditional PGA Apprentice program.
Learn more about the
PGA Apprentice Program.
Requirement for admission into the PGA Golf Management program is as follows:
- Must have a minimum USGA handicap of 12 or lower to enter and remain in the PGA Golf Management program. The Sam Houston State PGA Golf Management program requires handicap documentation which can be supplied by one of the following methods:
- A copy of current USGA handicap card
- Successfully pass the PGA's Playing Ability Test (PAT)
- Confirmation of playing ability form filled out by a PGA Professional or High School Golf Coach
- Be accepted by the Sam Houston State University Admissions Office.
- $500 is due by each student upon being accepted into the PGA Golf Management program.
- It is highly recommended for any prospective PGA Golf Management student (and family) to visit Sam Houston State University and the PGA Golf Management Department.
Please note that in addition to normal university tuition and fees, there is a PGA Golf Management program fee. This additional fee covers the cost of golf course access, PGA educational expenses, and PGM Student Association fees. This additional fee totals $2150 per year for the first four years of the program and will be discussed in further detail during the student's visit.